Please Help. Cat Really Struggling Post-doctor, Unsure If I Have To Make "the Call".

trizzo0309

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello all.

I really wish I didn't have to post this.

My four-year old cat was brought to the vet on Monday after he was experiencing bladder pain and looked in really bad shape. They quickly sent him to the ER after his status appeared worse than we thought. The doctor let us know that he had a severe blockage and had a catheter put in to make things move more slowly. While there he didn't really eat and looked miserable (from the pics they sent us). They kept him overnight for monitoring and we got him back last night. We were given medicine to give him via mouth, medical food and instructions.

Last night he was pacing around and sort of trying to use the bathroom but it didn't really happen. This morning we went to see him and he hadn't really moved or touched his food. I tried to give him his medicine and he was incredible adamant that that was not going to happen (generally he struggles but eventually gives up and takes it).

We have left two messages with the ER and vet to give us more information but I'm genuinely scared we have to make "the call." They mentioned he could have a surgery to help him but I wonder what type of quality of life that will leave him with, how much it could cost us and, once done, is this the end of his issues as we thought him being discharged was going to be it?

Any assistance or guidance is appreciated as we're really, really struggling.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If they are giving you the option of surgery, it probably is the right move. I don't have experience in that particular one but I know others have had surgeries related to bladder issues and it's been very successful.

He has been through a traumatic event and it can take some cats a little while to feel better. Try offering him stinky foods (like Fancy Feast broths or even water packed tuna). Right now the goal is just to get moisture and calories into him so whatever he will eat is good. You can also try human meat baby food (Gerber stage 2 is usually the one I go with, jus tmake sure no onion or garlic). You can even warm it up slightly to tempt him even a little more. I've done feeding right off my finger or putting a tiny dab on the nose to encourage licking. Often when my guys are turned off food I just have to get them lapping something up and they will start again. It's just those first few licks that are the real struggle.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That surgery really isn't complicated and will fix the problem for the rest of his life. His quality of life will be much better than it is right now. As Dr. Jeff on Animal Planet says, they turn a male into a female. The penis is so narrow that it easily gets blocked with crystals. What they do is cut it off, and then stitch the sides down, giving him a large opening for urine to pass.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he's a candidate for surgery (and he's pretty young so I don't see why not), that is a surgery I think is worthwhile. It should take care of the blockage problem entirely.

I would keep him on wet food (prescription for a while at least) for the rest of his life though.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has he peed yet today / since yesterday? If not, I hope you have brought him back to the vet to have a catheter placed again. When my boy blocked, he had to be catheterized for 5 days (hospitalized for 6), but made a full recovery and passed at the ripe old age of 18. He did not need the surgery, but we would have gone thru with it had the lengthy hospital stay did not work.
My vet mentioned to me that with a blockage, it is recommended that the catheter stay in place at a VERY MINIMUM of 24 hours, but best if 48 when dealing with cystitis, perhaps he was not catheterized for long enough to get the urethra to open and relax?
What medications is he on?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trizzo0309

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has he peed yet today / since yesterday? If not, I hope you have brought him back to the vet to have a catheter placed again. When my boy blocked, he had to be catheterized for 5 days (hospitalized for 6), but made a full recovery and passed at the ripe old age of 18. He did not need the surgery, but we would have gone thru with it had the lengthy hospital stay did not work.
My vet mentioned to me that with a blockage, it is recommended that the catheter stay in place at a VERY MINIMUM of 24 hours, but best if 48 when dealing with cystitis, perhaps he was not catheterized for long enough to get the urethra to open and relax?
What medications is he on?
Thank you for your message and support. Happy to hear things went so well for your boy! We brought him back to the ER and he's staying one or two nights. We're really hoping they can take care of the blockage with the right medicines/food long-term as I don't think we can financially make the PU surgery work as there is still risk associated with the procedure itself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trizzo0309

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
W Willowy DreamerRose DreamerRose Kieka Kieka

Thanks for your replies! We are definitely keeping him off dry food the rest of his life. We're not at the point in our lives where we can drop another $5K on the PU surgery with their not being a guarantee issue won't arise in the future. We're praying this works

Last edited by a moderator: