Please help! Cat lethargic and acting strange :^/

txcatlover94

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello there,

I have a cat (7 years old) who within this past week (maybe before, I'm not sure as I'm afraid I tried to brush it off until recently) has not been himself.

First of all, let me just say that I am posting this because I am hoping very much to avoid a trip to the vet (although that hope seems to be fading) as these visits can cost more than I can afford. I am of course willing to take him if needed because I don't want anything to go untreated or for him to suffer, I just would like to see first if it's something that he's just trying to get over (like a bug) or something more serious. Also, if I have to make a trip to the vet, I would like to go in with at least hopefully some idea of what the problem might be.

Okay, symptoms: my cat (Bendel) has been rather lethargic lately and sleeping a lot more than normal as of late. He also today exhibited some signs of fear (we had an electrician doing some work at the house) that he has never exhibited before. Sure, sometimes in the past he'll show normal signs of caution/curiosity/etc. in those situations, but today he was bordering frantic.

At night he usually sleeps on my bed or sometimes on the floor, but now he avoids the bed and hides himself in the room during the night. Again, sometimes before, he would change and find a new favorite sleeping spot every now and then, but after a few weeks he would generally go back to sleeping on the bed. But I get the feeling that this time it's not just changing sleeping spots - if everything else were normal, I probably would, but he just doesn't seem to be well. Along with hiding himself at night, he is sleeping A LOT and seems to lack energy. He basically chooses a spot and then parks it there all day (last night I had to move him myself - I only did this b/c I don't think he would have wanted to sleep in the same room as the family dog... ;^P ). He just doesn't seem to have energy and truthfuly, sometimes, just doesn't look well.

Before, his normal habits would be to to be pretty active in the morning as he would try to get me or someone else in the house to feed him. Then he would pick a spot and sleep there for a little while before getting up again for another meal. This pattern would repeat a few times a day, but now he just sleeps and doesn't seem to need to eat. I brushed it off for a couple of days but am now pretty concerned.

What is confusing me a little is the lack of some common symptoms: he hasn't been vomiting, no diarrhea, when he is up he eats/drinks - so I really am curious as to what the problem could be. I would say maybe it was some joint/limb pain but he can jump up onto things... Someone please help!!

Some things that could be factors are: he has been having some trouble with fleas for a bit now and licks/chews his back side quite a bit and is also sensitive back there. I have been trying some natural treatments (not wanting to use treatments like advantage) - would that have anything to do with it? Everything I have been using for the fleas I have always done research on to make sure that they were safe before using. I have flea combed him a couple of times, applied aloe vera (100% pure) to hopefully sooth his itchy skin, and sprayed him with apple cider vinegar. As far as internally, I did buy him some new food a couple of weeks ago - it is Orijen's food (the six fish blend). I bought it because he has dandruff and doesn't like wet food. I was excited to find it because it seemed to have the benefits he needed without having to try the wet food route.

Could any of these things be playing a part in this behavior change?

The only things I can think of myself are: (A.) he ate something outside, (he's an indoor cat but I do let him go in the backyard some) (B.) my bombardment of flea treatments is stressing him out (he did NOT like the apple cider vinegar one bit! I used a spray bottle to apply it and he kept meowing and trying to run away - so I was following him through the backyard while spraying him), (C.) the new food is not agreeing with him (I have been alternating between this food and his previous food - I give him less amounts of the Orijen's, though) (D.) maybe somehow the fleas are affecting him?

To sum it up, the symptoms are: lethargy and odd behavior.

Again, when up he DOES eat - he just won't get up during the day to do so. He just jogged back to the bedroom (he does this sometimes, he likes to eat :) ) so again, I am utterly confused; other than the two key symptoms, he seems to be normal in most other aspects.

I apologize for the overload of info - since this is so much and may not be quite clear, feel free to ask specific questions! (I may post an update if I feel like I need to be more clear on anything)

If anyone could give me any insight into what might be the problem, I would be eternally grateful!!

Thanks bunches! :)

P.S. As a side note, something else I have noticed which seems to have been just confirmed, is that he will jump onto things but once up doesn't want to come back down - I don't know if that sheds any more light into the matter but I do find it interesting.

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am going to bump this for our more experienced posters to see and comment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

txcatlover94

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I appreciate it! :)

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Though you want to try to avoid a vet visit at this time, I personally do not think you should do so. I think a thorough vet check-up, blood panel, and explaining some of his recent behaviors and history with the vet would be very helpful in trying to figure out if he is having a health issue, and what exactly might be going on with him.

I will just say that your mention of feeding your cat dry food since he doesn't like wet foods hits off some of my own personal alarm bells, only because my last cat was on dry food for 10 years (per her old vet's suggestion, grrrrr) before I realized she had developed her obesity and subsequent diabetes from that type of diet (dry food only). Just before I found out her diagnosis of diabetes, she exhibited a lot of the same behaviors as your cat and I could just tell she was not well, she was not "right". You seem to be sensing your cat does not feel well too. You know your cat the best of all of us, so you will need to decide what you'd like to do.

Now, I'm not saying that a cat could be doing the very same behaviors and either having nothing seriously wrong, or could have another entirely differently health issue to address! I am just saying, I recommend visiting the vet and getting a thorough check... just to make sure. Best wishes to you!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would bet either the food or the 'treatments' you have been giving him.  I would stop both for a week and go back to his old food for a while and see how things go. He could be stressed out too, that definitely causes a change in their routine and their behavior. Even 'natural' treatments can be toxic to some cats. You might try some L lysine treats, it builds the immune system up. As long as he is eating, drinking, peeing, and pooing, he should get better. The last things cats want when they are sick is to eat. By all means bring him in if it gets worse, he could have something building up in his blood or could be developing a heart condition or who knows how many other things that can go wrong. I have used kitten replacement milk to build up a sickly cat quickly, they really seem to like it too. Good luck and keep us posted on how he does!

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe try going back to his old food, and see if that makes a difference? If the new food is disagreeing with him somehow, that would be the easiest thing to fix. If it doesn't help, you probably should take him to the vet and have blood work done if at all possible, to find out what the problem is.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like he's stressed out.  I would get him to the vet for blood work and to rule out anything physically wrong.  At 7, he's entering his senior cat years and sometimes the body does weird things.  Do you know for certain that he has fleas?  Have you seen the fleas or flea dirt on him?  Have you tried treating your home rather than treating him for fleas? 

I would try to make his life as normal as possible.  Stick to one food for a month.  If you can find them, use feliway diffusers to help him de-stress.  Also, try to keep your routine and his routine as normal as possible.  Be patient with him and let him get comfortable in your home again. 

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If the new food is Orijen, it has high protein. Maybe it is constipation? Is he drinking enough?

What is in the litterbox per day? Is he straining? Going in a lot?

That vinegar he licks can be changing ph balance?

A vet can help you help your cat.

txcatlover94

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies! I really appreciate it (and thanks again Mosimom for bumping the post, I really appreciate that!!).

Let me see if I can make a couple of things more clear - this is a problem not easy to explain for those who don't know the cat on a daily basis, so I completely understand there only being so much advice one can offer without knowing the pet!

First of all, let me just restate the fact that by no means whatsoever am I opposed going to the vet! I love this silly cat to death and as a lover of animals in general would never ever want to see a problem go untreated or for him to suffer any. However, I really do not have the means/funds to pay for hundreds of dollars in vet bills. I really hope some of you understand this. It's not an opposition of going to the vet (although, talk about REALLY stressing my cat out!) it's just trying to be cautious. I feel comfortable not rushing him and waiting it out over the weekend because as previously stated, he really is not exhibiting a lot of the symptoms of a sick cat - it's perplexing.

The good news is, is that he got up this afternoon. It was in a rather naughty way, he ran into the front garden, LOL, but I was happy to seem him actually up (he was also rolling around in the dirt). The more I think about it, the more I think it is either one (or both!) of two things: he is really being bothered by the fleas (stephanietx, I am absolutely and positively sure he has fleas as I have picked one off his fur, combed them off live and kicking, and because he has been covered in flea dirt for some time now :) or that the whole apple cider vinegar treatment was a bit more than he could handle. 

Again, to be clear on what's going on: he eats (he even had lunch this afternoon), he drinks, he uses the litter box at night (Mosimom, it's hard to tell what's his in the box as we have two other users! :) ); it is really hard to explain, but other than a bit of a change in behavior, he is acting quite normal.

I really do understand that cats hide pain - I get that. (I've been around cats my whole life!) But from my understanding there are some things that can not and would not be hidden if this were a very serious matter. I would think that if he were in pain and sick, he would not move, period. He would not be jumping up in the windowsill for some fresh air, he would not be eating, bathing, drinking. And I think that he would really withdraw himself (for a few days earlier in the week he was sleeping in a cabinet but isn't anymore). I also think he might be vomiting if something were upsetting him internally?

For example, we have one cat who is 11 and has been having some dietary problems. A few times he has gone through stages of diarrhea, going outside the litter box, not wanting to go outdoors (he is an inside/outside cat, he came to us that way) etc. All normal signs of okay, something is definitely wrong here. My sister changed his food and he is doing much better.

I could be wrong - and if after the weekend there are no improvements, he is definitely going to the vet - but I am getting a stronger feeling that it is something mental/behavioral.

He just seems to have less energy than normal, seems to be a little more fearful, and not enjoying his face/chin scratches as much. (he use to shove his face in my hands for scratches :) )

Something that has been a little telling is his not really wanting to go in the backyard these days (which is where I followed him around with the spray bottle full of AC vinegar, trying to spray him as he ran away, bad idea I know). He used to always run to the back door in the mornings, ready for a little sunshine! He did want to go out there this morning but within a minute or two was promptly back at the door. The fact that he ran into the front (as opposed to going out in the back) this afternoon was a little telling as he hasn't done that in quite a while. So I'm really thinking it's stress/trauma?

This weekend I am going to do some more observing, treat him with regular flea treatment (I guess one application won't kill him!) because something needs to be done about those pesky critters - I think he is miserable in that regard - and buy some of the L-Lysine treats you mentioned Di and Bob. No more natural flea treatments for now - anything natural is going to be done around the house and not on the cat. I still stand by my views that the chemical treatments are dangerous for animals, but right now I just want to see my cat well and rid of fleas, and the easiest and least stressful way to do this is to use Advantage or something similar.

Thank you all so much for the input, I really appreciate it - I'll post an update after the weekend!

txcatlover94

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
PushPurrCatPaws, thanks for your response! :) I know full well the dangers of the dry food diet, but what do you do with a cat who doesn't like wet food? Bendel is such a funny cat. When he was a kitten it was the best food for him, but one day he got a taste of Friskies and would not go back (don't bother going there! that brand is NOT in our house anymore). I mean would. not. In fact, he went on a hunger strike! He would have nothing but the bad stuff. So of course I caved and let him have it and he managed to be perfectly healthy until about last year. As one would expect with Friskies, he started vomiting and that's when we switched him to something a little better (thankfully he didn't put up a fuss!). I can't even get him to eat meat much - the only thing that's not dry food that he will eat is tuna. So I have given him that before to help with his skin problems. I might go back to doing that; giving him his normal food and supplementing with some tuna a couple of times a week.

Thanks for your thoughts!! :)

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

PushPurrCatPaws, thanks for your response! :) I know full well the dangers of the dry food diet, but what do you do with a cat who doesn't like wet food? Bendel is such a funny cat. When he was a kitten it was the best food for him, but one day he got a taste of Friskies and would not go back (don't bother going there! that brand is NOT in our house anymore). I mean would. not. In fact, he went on a hunger strike! He would have nothing but the bad stuff. So of course I caved and let him have it and he managed to be perfectly healthy until about last year. As one would expect with Friskies, he started vomiting and that's when we switched him to something a little better (thankfully he didn't put up a fuss!). I can't even get him to eat meat much - the only thing that's not dry food that he will eat is tuna. So I have given him that before to help with his skin problems. I might go back to doing that; giving him his normal food and supplementing with some tuna a couple of times a week.

Thanks for your thoughts!! :)
I know that 9lives and Friskies make a tuna and egg canned food. Their canned food is much better in quality than the dry. I do hope he feels better but its hard to say what's causing his lack of energy. Do you have food sitting out for him all the time?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the further information, txcatlover94! :)

Not trying to be a contrarian, but it's my view/experience that l-lysine should only be given when feline herpes (FVR) is diagnosed by a vet. Some people share the thought that it aids the immune system widely and in general, but I've also read that it does not. More to the point, that it really mainly helps with symptoms of feline herpes (has to do with the herpes virus, lysine and arginine, etc). Others may disagree with me (about its "widespread" immune boosting effects), and that's perfectly fine! Also, some cats do have side effects to the higher doses of l-lysine, to wit: diarrhea and possibly other side effects. Just my two cents!

edit: l-lysine is often given at shelters because the typical URIs run rampant, and most cats/kittens get exposed to feline herpes, etc.

Last edited:

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
May I recommend coconut oil as a flea repellant? I give my cat coconut oil everyday just for all the other benefits, but especially to help digestion and skin and fur.
Research it and see if it is something you may want to try as well.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would really treat your cat with a good topical flea treatment advatage is good. Frontline doesn't work as well for mny anymore. I flea infestation can cause anemia in cats.. Many cats are allergic to fleas and have skin problems.  Look at your cats gums are they pale or nice and pink and healthy? Pale is often due to anemia...And a vets check up really would be best.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For my cat that doesn't like wet food, I mix her food and then put dry food "sprinkles" on top and she eats it all.  LOL  I don't give her a lot, but enough around the perimeter of of the bowl to get her to eat all her wet food.

txcatlover94

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
PushPurrCatPaws, thanks for that info. I'll just look for maybe some sensitive stomach treats instead? 

Mosimom, thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to look into the coconut oil! 

gardenandcats, my mom bought some Advantage today, so that will probably be going on this weekend. I haven't been able to look at his gums yet (I don't want to force it too much as I'm trying to get things back to normal for him just in case I scared him with all my treatments!), however I did look up the symptoms for anemia and other than the lethargy he hasn't so far shown any signs of the other symptoms. 

nansiludie, lately I have been keeping food out more than usual. Before this, I was trying to get two of our cats on a meal schedule and since we have dogs I can't leave any dishes on the floor. 

I know I probably sound like a broken record but don't you all think that it most likely sounds like a behavior/stress/trauma problem? I don't know why, but I'm really thinking it all might have to do with the fleas. Someone mentioned in a private email (I sent a message to a vet online) that their first thought would be the fleas as she said that "a lot of cats will hide and hide and seek new places to escape areas where a lot of fleas are emerging (the places being areas where he previously frequented and dropped lots of eggs)."

Does this sound like it could possibly be the problem to any of you? Again, he does eat, he roamed a little outside today and rolled around, he bathes (this is actually probably more a form of scratching/chewing than bathing, though), no vomiting, etc. Another thing is that he has been seeming to avoid the carpet in my bedroom and when he goes in he jumps up on a piece of furniture to eat. He also hasn't laid on the floor like he usually does in a little while. He also has been avoiding my bed - I don't know where he goes at night! He seems to want to be on furniture and not the floors.

I just remembered while writing this one habit he had been doing for at least a couple of weeks but has stopped doing now was to roll around on the floor quite often. I mean, any time he was up, he would be rolling on the floor - I figured this was because he was itchy. It really is the lack of things like that plus his previous daily activities that are keeping me concerned and confused. He pretty much looks fine (other than looking down/not as happy)  except at night, which is the one time of the day where I'm more inclined to say he doesn't look well.

But again (I'm really thinking aloud here, please pardon me!), if he were sick - meaning a physical problem and not behavioral - would there not be a lack of appetite, etc? He just seems down; he's not up really during the day, he hasn't been playing with one of our other cats that he's close to - these are the things that are concerning and confusing to me. He lacks interest/energy and isn't his normal self - but all without going into total hiding!

I'll apply the flea treatment this tomorrow and I guess we'll go from there...

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions - please feel free to add more!! :)  

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If he's avoiding the floor, maybe he is trying to get away from the fleas. I hope the Advantage helps and he goes back to normal quickly.

You might want to wash all your bedding in hot water, and vacuum the carpet thoroughly, to help get rid of the fleas quicker.

txcatlover94

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I am happy to report that Bendel has pretty much returned to his usual self this morning. The Advantage has been applied so hopefully that will put him out of his flea misery. I am almost completely sure after observing him last night that that is the problem. He is scratching and licking constantly and this morning I could detect that as soon as they began to really bother him is when he retreated. 

Thanks again for all the help everyone, and for bearing with me!! :^D 

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You will need to work on eradicating them from your home as well.  I have used Borax (found in the laundry detergent aisle) on my carpets to kill fleas.  Sprinkle it on, use a broom to work it down into the fibers.  Leave it overnight and then vacuum in the morning.  Be sure you block off the room from your cat.  I did it room by room over a series of days.

txcatlover94

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have taken care of the carpets (except one room) and now need to work on the outdoors. We bought some diatomaceous earth and beneficial nematodes a couple of weeks ago - I just haven't had the chance to apply either yet. 

Thanks! :)