Please help! Cat has a bleeding tumor and can't afford surgery!

katloop127

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Angel has been with us for 12 long years and is my baby. Unfortunately about over a year ago we noticed a bump growing on her stomach. We brought her to the vet and found out it was a tumor. We put her through surgery and got the tumor removed and also found out it was cancerous. Around the beginning of this year she aquired more bumps and one is bigger than a golf ball. It pains me to see her now. She no longer has a shine to her coat, it seems like her belly is about to drag on the floor and she hides more often. The bump is now also leaking and bleeding. Where ever she lies down, she leaves a blood stain which has forced us to lay blankets down that she can lay on. I so wish I had the money to get the tumors removed and put her through chemo but I don't. If she was in pain, of course I'd put her to sleep because I wouldn't want her to suffer but she doesn't seem to be in pain and still eats and acts like nothing is wrong, and still comes to lay inbewen my legs like in the picture above. My mom is worried about the bleeding though and thinks it might be time to put her down. I don't know what to do and it pains me thinking about it. Should we put her down now? Should we wait till she starts showing signs of pain? I've never had to make this decision before and tried looking up info and found this web site and decided to post this to get some advice from other cat owners that have gone through this. I know Angel is also old has lived a long and happy life and I will understand if the best choice is putting her down because I don't want her to suffer at all. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

lovemycalico

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that you are dealing with this situation. Life really feels like it's not fair sometimes. I am also dealing with my own issues about allowing my cat to cross the bridge this Friday. This is my first time having to make such a decision and no matter what, you have to do what is right for your kitty, not you, not your mother etc but for your kitty.

There is not right or wrong answer when the question of, is it time to put my animal to sleep. Only you can make that call and possibly get guidance from your vet. I knew it was coming so I wasn't exactly shocked but I really wanted my cat around for a few months. Actually, several more years and healthy and I am sure you would love to have your darling kitty with you for several more years too

Cat's can hide pain and you may never know how much she is suffering. Some cats  hide and stay away and others will be normal and some even get clingy when they sense the time is near (at least that is what my vet told me). She might be in pain to some degree but it can be hard to tell. The bleeding is very concerning because 1. she can develop anemia which is hard for kitties. 2. She has an open wound, which isn't good either. I would take her to the vet and figure out your options. It's not like you would have to decide that very day but really think a vet would let you know if things are only going to get worse. Does the treatment options available worth it? Cost effective? or would allowing her to cross the bridge now when you can do it peacefully be a better option?

I know I am not really answering your question, because no one can tell you when it is time. I know for me, I didn't want to do it too early but I also didn't want to hold on for too long. That window is different for everyone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katloop127

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I very much appreciate your response and I know it's hard to answer. I didn't expect a straight answer but just a little guidance. I'm just happy I got a response. Thank you for helping and trust me, you helped and I will probable do like you said and bring her to the vet to see my options. I know I can't afford surgery but maybe there's somethinges else that can be done but it may also be best to put her out of her pain if she's in any. Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:

lovemycalico

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am glad to give you support.  I haven't been on the boards very often lately but you are more than welcome to direct message me or get support from others maybe in the cat lounge (I have a thread on there regarding struggling caregiver, for the support of the caregivers). I know what are you are going through and it is a very hard decision, especially when they seem "normal".

You will be in my thoughts. Please keep us/me updated. It is great to have a support system. Even if it's a virtual shoulder to lean on.

Last edited by a moderator:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart just breaks for what you are going through, that poor baby! I think you will know when the time is right, you can see it in their eyes. You might want to get some pain medication to see if that helps, and ask about Prednisone, it shrinks tumors, is very inexpensive, and helps them to feel better, it gave a cat we took in another good year. I really feel for you, I'll pray for you both, bless you for loving so much.

katloop127

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks again lovemycalico lovemycalico I am new to this site and still haven't explored much but will check out the cat lounge. I discovered this site when I saw a thread that was similar to my problem and after seeing all the responses the person got, I wanted to sign up and share my story to find help and I'm very grateful I did. Thank you di and bob di and bob for the suggestions! I will look into these medicines especially the Prednisone! If it keeps my baby will me for another year I'd be so grateful!

alismama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry and wish we all had a magic answer of you and your sweet kitty.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I too wish we had a magic answer, which is one reason I didn't respond.
I do think cats communicate with us via their eyes, their demeanor.
Vibes and prayers to you and your Angel.

katloop127

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your support! I'm sorry if it seemed like I wanted some magical answer. I just felt helpless and needed to hear something and your support made me feel better. I'm keeping my head high for Angel and she has a visit with the vet tomorrow. I will give an update on what the vet says. Thanks again for the support and say a prayer for Angel!

lovemycalico

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I totally understand about wanting a magical answer or something that just made it 100% clear that you are making the right one. You are obviously making the right one taking your kitty to the vet. What comes after is up int he air but you will find lots of support from people here. It would be nice if someone else (another person, god, whoever) could take it out of your hands but one day at a time as they say. I hope the vet gives you positive news.

I will be waiting on your follow-up post tomorrow.

forrestmeows

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry that you're going through this!  I will pray for you and Angel and ask God to give you the wisdom to know what's best for Angel.  Sending lots of love your way.  

katloop127

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPADATE: Today I brought Angel to the vet and of course I didn't expect a miracle. The vet gave me Prednisone for the inflammation and something for infection. He gave Angel a few weeks, possibly a month and just said that when she starts to not act the same and stops eating, then it'll be time to make a decision to put her to sleep. Worst case scenario is that the tumor opens in which case she would have to be immediately put down to stop her suffering. I am praying this doesn't happen. I want her to spend her last days with us as comfortable as possibly which is what the medicene will help do. I want to thank everyone for the support and advice. If it wasn't for ya'll I would have probable waited it out which would have probable made it worse. I will be spending as much time as I can with her and spoiling her as much as possible. Thanks again for all the love and support you have all shown for Angel and pray that her last days are comfortable and peaceful.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm glad you went to the vet so at least you have some peace of mind knowing what to expect.  I'm very sorry--I hope you are able to have some good moments with your Angel before the time comes to let her go.

lovemycalico

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry. Love and cherish the time you have with your baby. We will be here to support you if you need it.

Loving Mickey

Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear about your kitty.Just love her and spoil her.Spend as much time as you can with her.My heart is breaking for you as I know the feeling when there is nothing we can do to help our precious babies.Take Care.We are all here for you and feel your pain.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think the dividing line between people isn't whether they have money, but if they are kind.  The ability to suffer over this decision indicates that you're a strong, kind and compassionate person.  Since animals cannot speak for themselves and we don't know if they are in pain (especially in the case of cats), my feeling is that we always have to err on the side of caution when making decisions about putting them to sleep.  Obviously there's a lot of variables and each case is unique, but I hope when I have to make this decision I remember that I will be not only ending my beloved pet's life with grace and peace, but that I will be preventing more suffering when I open my home to a new pet.  I also think it's great that your vet gave you some solid information about when to make a decision.  I think it is part of their responsibility to take the lead in these situations.  A neutral "hands off" vet., who won't give guidance during these Sophie's choice dilemmas, is ethically lazy at best. 

Also here's another story that hopefully will give people food for thought.  A friend's elderly dog was diagnosed with cancer.  Her vet told her that comfort care was the only option, which wasn't what she wanted to hear.  She ended up going to some big time holistic vet in our area who has a great website and an office filled with nice calming music and no diagnostic equipment.  The holistic vet said she could stop the progression of the cancer, put the dog on raw food cold turkey and sold her all kinds of homeopathic  medicine.  That dog suffered immeasurably from diarrhea and gastrointestinal upset on top of the cancer symptoms for weeks, and then the holistic vet finally admitted she had to be put down.  $2,500 worth of torture for her dog, $2,500 dollars that was is not there as a resource to offset future vet bills.  It was wrong on so many levels. 

Last edited:

smokem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Reba ,you are righteous.

Thank you for sharing with everyone..what a few wise ones know..

mycatsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm all for alternative medicine when it is appropriate.  But I believe that homeopathic meds killed my Maggie earlier this year.  She had an upper respiratory infection last December.  They gave me antivirals but they were huge pills and I couldn't get them into her.  I got them compounded and she will would not take them.  It just kept getting worse.  Then the vet who'd been treating her left the practice and the holistic vet who runs the practice took over and put her on these homeopathic immune system boosters.  To make a long story short, she developed severe pemphigus, which on top of her already being on prednisolone for IBD, meant steroid treatment was not possible.  Pemphigus is an immune system disorder.  I said goodbye to my baby on January 28.  I am 100% that the pemphigus was caused by the homeopathics.