Please Help, Baby Kitten Always Hungry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatsFan4Life

Shawna
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think he was playing, I think his stomach was pretty sore. He cried at me and seemed more angry than playful. A week ago he did play like that but his attitude was very different than last night. Last night he was telling me to quit.

I did weigh him in a small bowl last week. :lol:
He's too wiggly to do that now though. I'll try a small box tonight, thanks.
IMG-20190527-WA0008.jpg

A family member picked up some infant simethicone drops (for his trapped gas) and Activia yogurt (probiotics) today. Does anyone know how much I should give him of each and how often? Are these ones safe?
20190604_200207.jpg

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I imagine a drop or 2 of simethicone would do it at his size.

I'm not sure about using Activia for a kitty :/. Is it plain and unsweetened? If so, I would put a small spoonful in each batch of formula. If it's flavored, I wouldn't use it because of all the sugar and he may not like the taste.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he is progressing to normal! What you did the day of the poop, continue that. That is a beautiful kitten poop! :lol::yess: A huge relief for you both!
That is the most adorable picture of the kitten! I love that baby! He gots little baby ears and big kitten eyes and da cutest little paws! Da fuzziness is snuggly. :) I know you have been overwhelmed and probably haven’t gotten to this yet but when you give him a name, let us know.
One tip that may or may not help depending on the accuracy of any large scale you might have. I hold my kittiens and get on the scale to weigh us both. Then I take my weight without holding them and subtract my weight from the combined weights to get their weight. On a large scale you can do the same thing by putting them in a carrier.
Personally, I love the photo of weighing in the bowl! Precious!
Bravo! You have been doing such a fantastic job getting through all of this. I hope you are getting a little rest now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, 2 or 3 drops of simethicone in each feeding would suffice. His earlier poop is excellent. Let’s see how things go.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think he was playing, I think his stomach was pretty sore. He cried at me and seemed more angry than playful. A week ago he did play like that but his attitude was very different than last night. Last night he was telling me to quit.

I did weigh him in a small bowl last week. :lol:
He's too wiggly to do that now though. I'll try a small box tonight, thanks.
View attachment 287617
A family member picked up some infant simethicone drops (for his trapped gas) and Activia yogurt (probiotics) today. Does anyone know how much I should give him of each and how often? Are these ones safe?
View attachment 287624
Hes soo cute..

CatsFan4Life

Shawna
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the slow replies everyone, haven't been feeling very well. A cough/cold I was fighting before he showed up progressed a bit since I've been so sleep deprived. :stars:

I've been calling 'him' Gizmo (because of his dual personality. Changing between sweet when I first saved him and grumpy now.) I'm not entirely sure if it is a he or not (I'm usually good at telling.) Hence his nickname of 'Little Bits.' :lol: I'm sure the difficulty is because he's so tiny/underweight and it'll become obvious soon.

(I took this while he was sitting on my mom's lap. It was only the first or second night after I found him.)
IMG-20190527-WA0010.jpg

I haven't given him the simethicone drops yet, as everyone's concern about the mint flavouring has me hesitant. It was literally the only infant gas drops the store had. I have to go into town today, so I can try looking elsewhere for unflavored ones. Choices are limited where I live though. I haven't given him the yogurt yet either (Activia Vanilla flavored.) As for Willowy's concerns, I doubt he'll even notice it's in his food with the way he gobbles it down. The sugar shouldn't hurt anything right? Possibly a little tummy upset from a new food?

Danteshuman was concerned about him having other cats to learn from, which isn't a problem here. I have 2 other bottle babies I just weaned and several adults (inside and out). Once he grows a bit and comes out of quarantine he'll have plenty of company. We're a bit of a magnet for unwanted cats, but not sure if anyone wants to hear about all that. :sweat:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think?she? Is adorable! Maybe try the vanilla probiotics? When I mentioned probiotics I was thinking the stuff they sell on chewy. Being the worry wort I am I would call the vet and ask for advice about gas relief and probiotics. I might try adding a pinch of probiotics to her bottle in an experiment? Hopefully with less constipation her tummy will hurt less.

I hope you get sleep soon and that s/he settles. I mentioned other cats because other people shave complained when their Singleton bottle babies grew up and well became pouncing terrors that didn’t know how to respect boundaries. I am relieved to hear he/she will have many cat buddies to learn exactly how much pressure it takes to make her teeth/claws hurt.

CatsFan4Life

Shawna
Young Cat
Purraise
In the next couple days I'll be picking up some medicated eye ointment and oral antibiotics from our vet, so I can ask about the gas/constipation and grumpiness then.

Both Gizmo and the two older kittens will be getting treatment because of some sneezing and occasional goopy eyes. Vet tech said it's probably distemper because they're unvaccinated yet, but I disagree. They have no mental symptoms or coordination problems. I think everyone's just been sharing an upper respiratory infection/cold lately. :rolleyes3:

I've raised many unexpected/unplanned single bottle babies over the years, and only the very first plays too aggressively. I think that could just be his personality or because he nearly died as a young kitten from a vet's mistake and it altered his mind. Not sure which, but he definitely enjoys biting and kicking and talks back a lot. He has a bit of an attitude problem at times. :lol: He's still my closest baby though, even though he's over 10 now. :redheartpump:

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the slow replies everyone, haven't been feeling very well. A cough/cold I was fighting before he showed up progressed a bit since I've been so sleep deprived. :stars:

I've been calling 'him' Gizmo (because of his dual personality. Changing between sweet when I first saved him and grumpy now.) I'm not entirely sure if it is a he or not (I'm usually good at telling.) Hence his nickname of 'Little Bits.' :lol: I'm sure the difficulty is because he's so tiny/underweight and it'll become obvious soon.

(I took this while he was sitting on my mom's lap. It was only the first or second night after I found him.)
View attachment 287656

I haven't given him the simethicone drops yet, as everyone's concern about the mint flavouring has me hesitant. It was literally the only infant gas drops the store had. I have to go into town today, so I can try looking elsewhere for unflavored ones. Choices are limited where I live though. I haven't given him the yogurt yet either (Activia Vanilla flavored.) As for Willowy's concerns, I doubt he'll even notice it's in his food with the way he gobbles it down. The sugar shouldn't hurt anything right? Possibly a little tummy upset from a new food?

Danteshuman was concerned about him having other cats to learn from, which isn't a problem here. I have 2 other bottle babies I just weaned and several adults (inside and out). Once he grows a bit and comes out of quarantine he'll have plenty of company. We're a bit of a magnet for unwanted cats, but not sure if anyone wants to hear about all that. :sweat:
Ure kitty is a cutie

CatsFan4Life

Shawna
Young Cat
Purraise
He's still having bad constipation and bloating (finally pooped earlier today after 2 days.) Simethicone drops helped a tiny bit, but not much. Going to try a pinch of Lax-a-day in his milk morning and evening to see if that helps soften and move things along. Continuing with mineral oil 3x a day.

I've got some medicated gel for his eye and some liquid oral antibiotics if the older kittens spread their cold to him. He's too tiny to give any unless he starts sneezing too (which he isn't.)

Hopefully everything settles unto a better rhythm for him soon. It was funny that the vet assistant thinks he looks like a little fluffy hamster too. :lol:

CatsFan4Life

Shawna
Young Cat
Purraise
No, not really. He cries less but his belly is still too big and firm. The vet couldn't see him today, only an assistant. She said adding some PEG to his milk would be ok so we'll see if that helps over the next couple of days. I only added a tiny pinch since he's so small.

We said he looked like a fluffy little hamster too when we first found him (and he probably weighed about the same too.) So I found it hilarious she said the same thing without us mentioning it. :lol:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope it gets better. Maybe the vet can call you with suggestions if the PEG will help? :crossfingers: