Please help! At wits end!

sassynf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope someone can help me. My 1 year old spade cat won't stop peeing on my bed( Kept door closed) now she has taken to peeing on the couch where I sit and on the bed my side. Her litter box is clean. I went on vacation for 3 weeks and she peed and pooed on my bed several times while I was away. I could deal the bedroom by just keeping the door closed but I cannot have her peeing on my furniture. I don't know what to do I have tried sprays I have tried giving her more attention but nothing works my husbands say if she does it once more

she has to go! I don't want to do that.  Why is it only where I sit and sleep??? She has never gone on anyone elses bed. Oh and she has been doing this since she was a wee kitten.

PLEASE HELP!

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First, have you taken her to a vet recently to rule out medical issues? That is the most important step, as peeing outside the box is often associated with a urinary tract infection or urinary crystals. 

If she gets a clean bill of health then it's time to address that it's likely a behavioral issue. She seems to direct it toward you so I am assuming there is something about your relationship that she is not happy with. How many times a day do you devote strictly to her? It may be you aren't giving her enough attention. When she pees you give her negative attention which in her mind is better than none at all! Start scheduling 2-3 10-15 minute play sessions a day. Really get down on the floor and engage her, and end it with a lot of praise and affection. (Edit: after I typed this I saw you did address this factor but I'm leaving it in just in case it gives you a new idea or two).

There may also be something about the box that she doesn't like. Maybe try adding a second one in a different location to give her options. Also, try a different litter- she may not like the smell/texture of her current kind. I highly recommend Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter. A feliway diffuser may also help (it emits a calming pheromone). You may also want to confine her to just one room or bathroom while you are trying new things. Re-train her to use the box and then slowly expand her turf. 

Finally, be sure you are cleaning everywhere she goes with a good enzyme remover (like Nature's Miracle) to really get the scent out. Otherwise she will just keep doing it. 

I know it's a frustrating problem but just try to hang in there while you work towards getting to the root issue. As you try things let us know the results so that others can add on with things to try. Good luck! 

littlegrey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have to agree about taking your kitty to the vet to make sure she's okay. Cats often present by urinating or defecating outside of the litter box when something is medically wrong 
. Knock on wood that nothing is, but until that's addressed you really can't start addressing the behavior problem.