*please Help* 48 Hour Old Kittens Leg Is Turning Black

Ruffnsluf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About 10 yesterday morning my mother cat gave birth to 5 kittens one of which died during birth, I supervised the whole process and assisted when necessary cause Nala (the queen) is a first, and last, time mama. All the kittens came out seemingly with no complications except for the still born, 2 black, 2 orange tabby, but now almost 36 hours later I have noticed starting last night that one of the orange tabby legs at first seemed a little dirty, but rapidly has become darker and darker, currently at this point I see seemingly no reflex or movement from the thing down (the thigh muscle seems to be OK for now).

I've been doing my research but have not gotten enough information to feel educated and decide what step to take next is in the kittens best interest. I am fairly certain this dying leg was caused by being tangled within the womb/sac and being cut off from blood flow for to long. At the time of birth there was no noticible complications involving the removal of placentas (Nala seemingly handled that part of the process like a champ) but at some point this leg was cut off from blood flow, (maybe accedintly crushed while lying under mama cat) to the point of no return I THINK, I am no vet but I'm a realist and like to plan for the worst/hope for the best.

On forums, I have read about others who've gone through similiar situations and their responses vary from good to very bad sometimes everything would heal on its own or need a little bit of massaging or Extra Care to go back to normal but that seemed for less severe situations then mine currently, another said that the leg end up being chewed off by the mother and successful recovery was essentially a coin toss, and of coarse a few of the stories ended with the kitten not making it do to infection or blood loss.

I am a responsible pet owner and am fully aware leg amputation would be best choice for the poor guy but unfortunately although I do provide my cats Veterinary Care and keep them all updated with their shots and vaccinations, check ups, etc. Do to the $1500-$3000 price tag on surgery, that option is not really an option. Can anybody provide some insight or share any experince/ have recommendations or tips regarding any possible options you think I may have, I feel like just leaving it be by letting nature take its course and waiting to see if the kitten gets his leg bitten off and survives or die some infection is inhumane and nearest multiple thing to do wow euthanization feels like giving up and I don't think I could do that to any animal that hadn't lived a long and fuffiled life

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you said it all. Good research! The practical chances are decent, but it may easily end with death too... A real danger is of course the infection will spread up to the body, whereas death will follow soon enough, but not necessarily an easy death. Surgery is no option for you - it costs very much too much, - and also, the kitten may die during the surgery, lets not forget this...

The only I disagree is your feelings against a humane pts already now. In a way, its true, but the kittens life tread is potentially very short... If you want to be sure it doesnt suffer, a pts is the only safe way out.

There is one other alternative you havent mentionened. You ARE a paying customer to your vet. You can thus always phone and ask. Perhaps the vet is willing to give you insigths and advices - hopefully free of charge, but at the worst, to the price of a normal check up?
Its perhaps possible to do something with antibiotica?

Ps. To summarize: If you are really tight on money, try at least with the telephone consultation. But if you DO afford normal vet care, a personal visit with this kitten is what is needed, and discuss it through with the vet there on place. Precisely as Kashmir in the next post suggests.

Are you weighting the kittens every day? Its the easiest way to see if they are growing properly, and are reasonably OK.
This includes also this poor leg kitten.

Last edited:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I honestly think the best thing to do is take him to the vet and discuss your options. Without knowing the circumstances that caused this, or the extent of the dying of the limb, any advice is only guessing. Only your vet can advise you correctly once an examination is done.

I truly hope massaging is all this kitten needs, but you never know.
Keep us advised.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree - you need to see a vet. The vet can administer antibiotics, and advise if an amputation is a possibility.

If no options are feasible, the vet can humanely euthanize to end suffering. A necrotic leg is painful and can lead to sepsis.

Please consult a vet!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ruffnsluf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just an update for everyone after watching him throughout the night he seems to be in minimal pain and is almost seemingly more active then the rest of his litter mates, the mother has began the process of chewing off the leg and it actually isn't as brutal as I had imagined believe it or not. The foot is definitely dead now, kind of just dangles around and has lost all color for no more then an inch at most starting the measurement from his claws going up. I have decided that out of the 4 kittens hes gonna be the keeper and will be our newest member of the family, the rest will go to homes of responsible friends. I'll update In a week or so if nothing comes up by then.

PS. Save your breath I know your all on the edge of your seats waiting to tell me to take them to go see a vet, already have it taken care of I'm bringing all four+mom in as soon as there eyes open in a few more days he'll be fine until then I'll be weighing and monitoring for signs of infection. Thanks for everybodys advice

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Please just keep an eye on it if you can't get it amputated. I have lost a cat to sepsis before and it is not pretty to say the least.
You'll want to watch for failure to thrive, weakness, bad smell, excessive bleeding, appetite loss etc.

Are you able to keep it clean? Your vet can help you with this.

I have heard of animals beating the odds before and hope your little one will be able to too.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I totally understand how you feel about euthanasia and respect your feelings and beliefs about it.

Do you have any assistance groups in your area who may be able to assist you with finances? This cat will probably be special needs for his entire life and will need extra care to live a normal lifestyle.