please advise: planning to move from US to Europe with 4 cats (and 2 rats)

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
4 cats:
Sassy (pear-shaped, brown tabby). Hates Oberon and Grisou :hmmm::ohwell:
Twister (aka detective chief inspector, gray, lightweight)
Oberon + Grisou (bonded pair, black + tuxedo, they will share a carrier)

Asking for advice from anyone who has ever taken a cat on a long-distance airplane flight! :bigeyes:
The goal is to travel from California to France. Destination airport will either be in Switzerland or Germany. As far as I found out, import rules are the same:
rabies vaccination more than 21 days before the trip, micro chip implanted at or before the rabies shot, and a government approved vet to fill out a certificate (already found that one). I'll also ask the vet for valium to dose everyone for the trip.

Since there are 4 cats total, the plan is to take them in steps so they can be a carry-on.
First my husband will take Sassy since she doesn't mind being confined indoors and could be parked anywhere.
Then a relative who will do a business trip into the area will take Twister.
Then my husband will come back and together with me we'll take Oberon + Grisou (1 carrier) and the rats (yes off-topic but also 1 carrier).

Question to you: Do you have any tips for air travel with a cat? Will the security people require them to be taken out of the carrier? (that would be real bad because even Sassy who doesn't fear the vacuum will be quite scared .. envisioning a wild hunt among the line for security :censored:)
Do I have to worry about them getting dehydrated?
All I know is never to let a carrier out of my sight and never permit anyone to be put in the overhead compartment, I heard of a passenger who was forced to put her small dog in there and the doggie suffocated.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I did a site searching for the word "flying" in the title, and came up with several threads. Maybe there'll be some tips in some of them. Most only have a few replies, so shouldn't take too long to read them.

Search Results for Query: flying

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My puppy was flown cross country as carry on several years ago. He was taken out of the carrier and the paperwork was quickly checked to make sure it was in order. However, a puppy is much easier to handle out of a crate than a scared cat. You may not be able to get a comprehensive guarantee that the cats won't be, but I would try to make some calls to see what might be anticipated. If you think that they would be taken out, you might have a harness and lead on them so that there is something to hold onto if panic ensues.

Your ultimate guide to flying internationally with a cat: Tips & Essentials (as of 1/2019)
This site says that cats flying internationally will be removed from the carrier as they go through security. It also mentions having a non metal collar, which would apply to anything else that your cat would be wearing.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was told that you have to take the cats out of the carrier so they can scan it. I think this is so stupid. So I decided not to move, it would just be too hard with 2 feral cats. I would make sure you have a harness/leash on them, because if they escape in an airport, I doubt you would ever get them back. You can ask to go to a private room to do it, so there is a closed door. I'm not sure if they always say yes, but sometimes they do.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Jimmy L on another post is flying TODAY I believe on a very long European journey involving planes, trains and automobiles. You may wish to wait a day if possible and see if he has any advice.