Playtime Workshop Cat Trees

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Looking for a new cat tree.  Because we have dachshunds, we feed the cats on the tree, or their food will be gone in seconds.  Currently, there are 2 platforms that the dogs can't reach.  Until recently, one was plenty large enough for 2 cats to share, but they are getting big enough now it is pretty tight, and starting to be a problem.

I want something with a spot for all three to eat separately, as well as something sturdy enough to withstand leaps (current tree rocks sometimes when the big Himmie boy hits it).  I'm willing to spend more to get something really sturdy that will last, but need to use PayPal Bill Me Later to spread out the payments for a few months.  The coolest trees I have seen, after a full day of searching, are those from Playtime Workshop.  They do have one on eBay which would allow me to use Bill Me Later.....

http://www.playtimeworkshop.com/katimanjaro_cat_furniture.htm

I like this one a lot.....more than I wanted to spend, but definitely cool.  One problem....it is 86" high.  My celings are 8 ft (96"), and I am worried there is not enough space at the top for the cats to eat comfortably.    Some of their designs come in shorter versions, but this one doesn't look like it would modify easily.  I will give them a call on Monday and ask if it can be shortened, or if they would let me use PayPal on another design.  I think I have seen their Bigfoot design mentioned here.....

Questions:

1. What is the experience with this companies products?  Are they worth the cost?

2. Is 10" at the top enough space, or should I go shorter?

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
i have no experience with the company, just had to say I want one for ME to play and lounge on.

10"  would seem to be enough clearance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think I am gonna "go for it".  I have a smaller Petco tree now, that is kind of tippy when the big boy hits it, and is already showing a lot of wear after just 7-8 months. It will probably be retired to the bedroom. I also have one of those modular kitty towers that you build up with pvc, but it is not holding up well at all, and will probably go to my roommate's daughter.  Concept was great, but I'm tired of putting it back together, and a lot of the nylon platforms are torn. It worked great while the crew were kittens, but doesn't seem to be able to stand up to them now. The Katmanjaro is huge (36x26x86) and weighs 130 pounds.....so I'm thinking it will probably outlast 2-3 cheaper ones....and definitely shouldn't be tippy.  I started out looking at the Bigfoot....but with their eBay price, it's only $30 more to go for the big one.

I live in a single wide trailer.....so the 3 cats, 3 dogs, and the parrot have as much furniture as I do...lol.   I'm thinking the forest green/ivory one with burgundy drapes.....quite the decorating statement....

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That cat tree looks so sturdy and stable. I love the wider base and 4 legs. I don't understand why most cat trees only have 3 legs. I think 10" is enough clearance. Please let us know how you like it after you get it. I'm in the market for one but can't find one I really like.

duckdodgers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my, that is quite the cat tree!  If only I had the room and the money for it.  Stella would be in kitty heaven.

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my, that is quite the cat tree!  If only I had the room and the money for it.  Stella would be in kitty heaven.

I don't have the money or the room....but I'm going to do it anyway....lol.  Bill Me Later is a wonderful thing.  I think my kitties are going to be very happy....

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cat tree only has one leg.  It's ... um ... a tree!  Well, it was once upon a time.  A tree trunk, anyway.

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is ordered!!!!  Talked with the company on the phone.....really nice guy and very helpful.  Now the waiting.....lol.  I'll be sure and post pictures when it arrives.

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"My cat tree only has one leg.  It's ... um ... a tree!  Well, it was once upon a time.  A tree trunk, anyway.

Post a picture of your "tree"....we wanna see!

Last edited:

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Expected delivery on the new tree is tomorrow!!!!  Will post pictures as soon as it gets here and is put up. 

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is here and it is awesome.  The cats love it!  It came in one large box...all the pieces packed together so the box wasn't totally huge.  It was easy to put together, except for trying to keep Gideon (Siamese) off of it while we did the assembly.  We unpacked it outside, and carried the pieces in....Gideon claimed each piece as it came in....he was beside himself with excitement...lol.  The only issue I have run into is trying to tighten up the wing nuts inside the house part that hold the side shelves on.....will be getting someone taller than me and without arthritis in the hands to come by and help with that this weekend.  The wing nuts screw right down into the carpet inside, so not an issue in terms of safety.  The house part has a "floor" halfway up, with a hole in the back corner so they can get up and down inside....cats think that is totally cool.  

Not a great picture.....will keep trying to get a better one without the window screwing up the lighting.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, that is awesome! Huge too. The cats really seem to love it based on the picture. Have you tried feeding on the top level yet? If I recall correctly, you were concerned about the clearance, but it looks good, right?

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, that is awesome! Huge too. The cats really seem to love it based on the picture. Have you tried feeding on the top level yet? If I recall correctly, you were concerned about the clearance, but it looks good, right?
There are multiple places I can feed.  There is plenty of room for Gideon and Foo on the roof of the house part....Nico likes to eat inside the house.  The side shelves work too, altho they are more likely to push the dish off....which makes the dogs really happy.  

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Boy I wish I had a place for a big cat tree of some sort. Glad this one was perfect for you.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Holy smokes that's awesome!

We'd be able to do the height, but don't have the overall room for anything that big - let alone Casper is at a stage where he wouldn't be able to jump on it lol.  So, it would be all for Cocoa and while we love her, I don't know if she's worth quite that much of cat tree :p

playtime

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I'm glad you like it Harleydiva. I used to have account here, but I long lost the password. I appreciate the feedback on the katimanjaro. They are hard to get a good pic of, because you have turn the camera sideways, most of the time to get it all in, which in turn makes it look thinner. You def need to tighten those side wings down all the way, but as you said they won't go anywhere to you do. Looks real nice.
Thanks,

Jamie

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey, Jamie.  Welcome to TCS.  I am happy you decided to come back on here.  I hope you sell a lot of furniture.  Will you be starting a vendor thread?  PM me if you have any questions I can answer.

playtime

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, thanks for the re-welcome. I believe I will, because there seems to be a great crowd here. I also like to post about a bunch of stuff other than my business. I'm not here for the money, I just knew that she had posted here, and wanted to follow up. I like to talk about all kinds of stuff, just like everyone else. lol

Thanks Again,

Jamie

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A better picture....with the side shelves screwed down.  The cats weren't sure about the ladder the first few days, but now they like it.  Gideon was doing somersaults through the ladder playing with his pink feather boa this morning.  Since the pieces are wood, I'm going to attach some screw eyes in several locations to hang toys.  All the cats are getting a big charge out of jumping out of the holes in the house part at each other....there are additional openings on both sides too.  Overall, I'm really happy with this thing......as are the cats.  

Last edited: