Playtime confusion?

sammyrae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I posted a little while back about my cats,5 year old Felix and 3 month 4 month old Maya. The two are now starting to get along much better, however, I've noticed playtime turns tense... For example, today Felix was messing around with Maya; rolling around and pawing her lightly. Confused, Maya sat there for a while but the second Maya went to play back, Felix hisses at her, wacks her, then runs away. 

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
They're just leaning the playing thing... It takes time for them as you know.  It looks like mixed messages, but he's just sorting it all out 

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, it is quite normal. 

I remember my boy San doing the same thing to my little girl Cali when she was about Maya's age. Cali looked really confused so I picked her up and called San a meanie 
 Nowadays,Cali is fond of pawing San's tail to goad him into playing with her. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sammyrae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel like at this point they're both confused. Maya knows Felix wants to play but when she actually participates, she gets hit and Felix hasn't been around a kitten since she was a kitten herself! Is there anything I could do to help them uderstand it's Ok to play?

sammyrae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, last night when we put Maya away for bed, Felix started playing with her toys, stopped, then walked over to start meowing loudly at the door. She has never done this before!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I looked up your previous thread. They have only been together for 3 weeks if I read it correctly.  That is a short time for them to get to be really good buddies. Particularly with the difference in age. It may take a couple of months more for them to be completely comfortable with each other.  After all, Felix was an only furchild for 5 years.

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Looking good

I remember taking shots like these when my two were getting to know eacy other.... I was so pleased to see them close together I always had to grab the camera.

sammyrae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I looked up your previous thread. They have only been together for 3 weeks if I read it correctly.  That is a short time for them to get to be really good buddies. Particularly with the difference in age. It may take a couple of months more for them to be completely comfortable with each other.  After all, Felix was an only furchild for 5 years.
Actually, before we moved, she lived with one other cat :) he was very very laid back though so they never played :/ she has been an only child for less than a year

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, even a year is long enough for her to get used to being an only furchild. She is conditioned to amuse herself, when not interacting with you.  Give her some time and she probably will come to the conclusion that Maya is the best toy there ever was.

sammyrae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I noticed today and yesterday Maya has been chasing Felix more than usual and Felix hasn't made a sound :). She will hiss at her if she is sitting and Maya runs at her but if they're both active Felix is fine.