Playing

denyse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 11month old sunshine will not play alone, she loves to play but I really can't play all the time, can anyone help with this I feel guilty when I don't. I have bought every toy possible, she touches, smells,looks at me then walks away, later she will sit on my feet when o do sit down. She chases a ball and waits for me to walk to her and throw it again. My sunshine is an indoor lady

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
She may be playing while you are away or sleeping, or she may simply be a cat that doesn't play much. Fetch is a great game and sounds like she is almost ready to really do it. After you toss her toy, wait a few minutes to see if she will go get it. If not, get it yourself and throw it again. This time wait even longer for her to pick it up. Once she is picking it up, don't throw it again until she brings it somewhat close to you.

Cat Sidhe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did you try with "interactive toys"? They are mostly designed for cats to play alone while the owners are away working, so the cat does not get bored.

There are lots of options, depending on your cat´s preferences. There are chasing toys, puzzles, automated balls with feathers, mice... Maybe this article helps:
8 Superb Automated Cat Toys That You're Going To Love!
Ideally, you will have to rotate the toys from time to time to keep her interested ;)

Also, if you search for ways to "catify" your house, you´ll find many articles with different options to keep your cat entertained.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

denyse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions, she is usually never alone, her attachment to me is very strong, my question was how do I get her to play by herself somtimes

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions, she is usually never alone, her attachment to me is very strong, my question was how do I get her to play by herself somtimes
Other than cat continuing to offer new toys that might spark her interest in play, there isn't much else you can do. Some cats go crazy for only a certain kind of toy, so you want to keep trying new ones. Also try homemade toys - bottle caps, paper balls, cardboard boxes, paper bags, hair bands etc.

denyse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She does love fetch, that is I throw the ball then I follow her and throw it again and again, I ordered the blanket mouse game because she likes catching things either way. What does your baby like to play?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
She does love fetch, that is I throw the ball then I follow her and throw it again and again, I ordered the blanket mouse game because she likes catching things either way. What does your baby like to play?
Cat springs are her favorite, followed by sparkle balls, golf balls and her Yeoww banana. She is seven so her playing has slowed down but when she was younger she loved chasing the laser pointer.

denyse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow 7 and she still plays that's great. It was great exchanging with you