playing or upset?

cla517

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Whenever the food and water bowls end up too close to each other, Simon tries (and succeeds) to scoop food into his water bowl. I can't quite tell if he's just amusing himself or registering his displeasure with the bowl placement! Anyone else's cat do this? Any idea why? (Obviously, not a terrible problem, but I'm just interested!)

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you watch Simon after he eats, you'll probably see that he tries to bury his food by scratching at the floor around the bowl as if to cover it. This is an instinctive thing and harks back to how cats in the wild bury their food, so they can continue to eat it later, but hide it from scavengers. My guess is that when the water bowl is close to the food bowl, water is scooped into the food as he tries to bury it.

cirque

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I read that cats actually would rather their water dish is further away from their food, and both water and food are far away from the litter box. I cant speak for all cats however, as I have also known cats that liked wetting their food before eating it...quite amazing actually.

leosmum

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cla517

Whenever the food and water bowls end up too close to each other, Simon tries (and succeeds) to scoop food into his water bowl. I can't quite tell if he's just amusing himself or registering his displeasure with the bowl placement! Anyone else's cat do this? Any idea why? (Obviously, not a terrible problem, but I'm just interested!)
Oh my goodness, i just got done posting something like this on another thread..
We have a cat that does that.. Baby will sometimes scoop out a few pieces of kibble on her paw and then bloop them into the water dish .. slash it around until its soft then eat it!!
shes a silly girl.

Maybe Simon is trying to get his food soft... but can't quite figure out how to scoop it out of the water dish..