Playing Or Fighting

Deilla

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am slowly socializing my cats after having them separated for almost two months. Jazzy is the youngest and newest. She seems very playful. Nyke is the resident cat and a few years older. I'm not sure if he's playing or being aggressive. They chase one another equally. Like hide behind things and pounce. It's cute and I think great! They're having fun. But when Jazzy gets too close to Nyke, he swats her, hisses and growls. That's not good. Is he setting boundaries or is all of his behavior aggressive. I ask because he started chasing her across the house and under the bed. I thought that was too much so I separated them again.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We always say that the things to watch out for are "fur flying", "blood", or "one cat seeming scared or stressed". If both cats keep going back for more "fun", then it probably is just fun, with a bit of sibling squabbling.

Here's a TCS article that might be helpful: Are My Cats Fighting Or Playing?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IF Jazzy gets scared, or if Nyke plays too rough, Jazzy will scream which is her way of telling him to back off. If he backs off all is good. Do not let the scream disturb you, like hissing, growling and swatting it's part of cat speak. How else would Nyke know he's too rough? Nyke may also scream at Jazzy for the same reason.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Deilla

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your replies. It's been really helpful. I gave them time together for a couple more days and watched them. They are pretty much relaxed. When Nyke hisses it is definitely cat speak. It's happening less today. They are getting closer and starting to do their own thing. I even left them alone while I took a nap. They were happy campers when I checked on them.

Deilla

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are really doing well. Every once in a while I see a swat and hear a hiss. They are just setting boundaries. It's usually over food or play time. Or me time. Lol! I'll work on getting some pictures.

Deilla

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This morning while I had the slider open. They love the fresh air.

nyke-jazzy.jpg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hissing and swatting is setting limits, perfectly normal. As long as both come back for more play, everything is normal. If one hides from the other and does not interact, THAT is when play is not play.

Deilla

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yea, sometimes I get concerned when Jazzy pounces on Nyke. But he keeps coming back like he's enjoying the attention.