playing in litter box driving me bonkers!

doctorprilicla

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two cats, and Galen feels the need to play in the litterbox. He's two years old and does this, getting litter and waste *everywhere* in the damn bedroom. I have another litterbox that's covered, but my other cat won't use it because he's too tall. He needs the open litterbox. So is there anything I can do to stop Galen from playing in his box and scattering the litter all over the place? It wastes litter, my money, and I'm tired of my room being covered in litter!

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh, yeah I can imagine that being annoying.

Personally, I don't think you have a better option than just investing in a different litterbox. You can get a larger enclosed one so both cats are happy, or you can just use a regular big plastic box w/ very tall walls and cut an opening on one small end. If you raise it and put a block on the outside to step on, then it would be very difficult for litter to spill. Alternatively, you could just screw in a little plastic flexy flap, or a hard flap on a hinge, but make sure its see through.

I'd think disciplining the cat about proper litterbox use would risk a negative association w/ it and possibly cause litterbox avoidance.