Play Vs. Fighting?

suzan30

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there some good way to determine if cats are play fighting, fighting for real, or harassing/bullying each other? There is a good bit of chasing and pouncing going on, but no hissing or use of claws, but while both cats seem to be equally involved, one tends to be on the floor with his tummy up, and I do hear an occasional squeaks (none of my cats meows properly). All three are neutered males about a year old, but they seem to pair off to play (or fight?).

They eat happily next to each other, if that means anything.

Thank you!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It certainly sounds like play. If it was true fighting, their would be howling, screaming and literally fur flying. If it were bullying there would be one cat hiding or other behavioral issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

suzan30

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! That is good to know. It can get pretty vigorous in the evening and I get worried. Just boys being boys, I guess.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here’s a video showing some normal play behaviour:

Also please appreciate the awesome kick flip at 0:57. :biggrin:

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What your describing is definitely play. If it were fighting, you’d know. Loud, screeching howls, chases, and aggressive movements. Playing can get rough, but not that rough. My cats have even ended up with chunks of fur ripped out, but it was all in fun. The way I know is that if one cat is sick of playing, they will just walk away and the play is over.