play hunt. can you overdo it?

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I watched jackson galaxy's videos about kitty playtime. Hunt, catch, eat, groom, sleep.

It was really helpful. It took some time to figure out, but i finally managed to register the toys as prey. Basically slow approach, but quick motion away. If you do the reverse, the cat will probably think it's attacking them, that's why at first Rivel was scared of the feather stick.

I got her to chase even ambush the toy. Like she would hide in her box, then peek out a little, then if the toy slowly approach she would burst out of the cave claws out ready to murder the heck out of the toy. Each time she pounce or claw, i gave her a kibble. After several times, i gave her a full wet canned meal.

Now the question is how much should i do this ? My cat didn't look like she was panting or drooling from being too tired. She stops to sit once in a while and i took away the toy, after several minutes, i let her at it again. The whole session took like 15 minutes including rest time.

Can i overdo it and stress my cat? How many times a day should i do it? Every time before meal? Just once a day ?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats will typically stop playing when they're too tired. They're pretty good at gauging their own energy level and don't have a need to please or satisfy people, so they'll usually just stop when they're tired or bored. I've actually never even found it necessary to reward play with a treat for my cats, but it may be more necessary for an adult cat that isn't used to play time. I would just play with them as much as they want. As long as there's nothing odd going on like panting or abnormally rapid heartbeat then I wouldn't worry.

I don't know if you have or have ever had multiple cats, but seeing them play with each other is a good way to gauge their energy level. Mine often go at it quite vigorously for short bursts. I believe Jackson Galaxy also has the 10 second rule or something? He lets them play for short bursts and then rest for 10 seconds, then play vigorously again (I think?). They tend to do this when they play with each other too and so the whole play session could be up to 30 minutes, including small breaks in-between. They tend to be creatures that have very high energy short bursts of play and then long naps to regain that energy. It kind of mimics the hunt in the wild. And when they don't want to play with each other they let each other know that too, either by walking away or swatting to say "leave me alone."

I think multiple play sessions a day are great.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here's a TCS article all about Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know – TheCatSite Articles that you might find helpful.
thank you. all these articles posted has been helpful. those tons in the introduction thread was great too.
thank you. it's actually more noticeable today. first she would chase it up the bed, up the cat tree and as time goes, she just do a half-hearted swat then just groom herself and that's my cue to stop. after that dinner/breakfast. i try to do this twice a day to stimulate her as much. my room is small is and have bad view (outside window is obstructed by car because it face the garage) and she still kinda afraid to explore the rest of the house.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you. all these articles posted has been helpful. those tons in the introduction thread was great too.

thank you. it's actually more noticeable today. first she would chase it up the bed, up the cat tree and as time goes, she just do a half-hearted swat then just groom herself and that's my cue to stop. after that dinner/breakfast. i try to do this twice a day to stimulate her as much. my room is small is and have bad view (outside window is obstructed by car because it face the garage) and she still kinda afraid to explore the rest of the house.
Cats also get bored of toys quickly, so it could just be that it's not novel for her anymore. I hide interactive toys when I'm not playing with my cats and rotate them. That way if they don't see a toy for a few weeks they get excited again when I pull it out.