Play Fighting Vs Real Fighting

Melamber75

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone. So I recently adopted a new kitten to my family. I already currently had one cat who is a little over a year old. We slowly introduced them, and neither of them hiss or growlgrowli each other anymore. My concern now is the fighting. I don't know if it is real or just play. For starters Nova, my one year old, is the one that usually seems to start the fight or the chase. And Aurora, the kitten, bats back and usually ends up on her back. Neither of them seem to be getting hurt, and I don't notice claws out or rough biting. Is this normal or should I separate them for a little longer. Thank you!

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In general, "quiet" wrestling with no bloodshed is playing. Some tufts of hair are OK a meowch is OK.

How do they act afterwards? Does the "loser" go back for more (playing) do they switch positions (playing) does the winner let the loser get away (playing).

Cats, even kittens, play really rough. Much rougher than I ever expected and it can be a shock to watch the first few times.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Melamber75

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Usually whe Nova, the one year old, starts it. She just kind of runs away in the end. IDK if she is wanting Aurora, the kitten, to chase her now. Aurora never does chase her. But she is a very playful kitten e

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the fighting episodic? If they take a break and size one another up, it's most likely playing. If they are quiet, it's playing (although some hissing or crying may occur and it still will be playing). If they don't pin their ears back, it's probably playing.

Sometimes, this can be pretty rough and still be playing. My two guys sound like a herd of elephants! They growl, hiss and throw one another into the walls, but never draw blood or pull out fur.

You might have to stop rough play in order to keep them from damaging something. A cardboard barrier, small rug or towel helps with that. Sometimes, if you get directly between them when it's pretty hot and heavy, they'll redirect the energy toward you before they stop!

Sounds like your two will be just fine.

Melamber75

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah when they stop they just kind of stare at each other and than one walks away. Just kind of worried me because I did not want the kitten to become afraid of Nova. Never really knew how they would react to each other. Happy to know it seems to be normal. Wasn't sure if since Nova, the resident cat, was usually the starter. If that was normal, or a dominace thing, or just Nova wants to play with her more. Thank you for your response. Just a worried and stressed cat mom lol

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No fur, no blood, no problem is a good general rule of thumb. If they are both coming back for more and no one is running away at the sight of the other they are probably fine. I do stop my guys when they get too close to breakables with a loud "knock it off" to which they look at me sheepishly and go out of my line of sight before restarting.

Here are some videos that might help, both are my crew playing (yes, Rocket is loud in play but it is play. She's actually quieter and runs away if she doesn't want to play)

View media item 420658View media item 421929

Melamber75

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is the fighting episodic? If they take a break and size one another up, it's most likely playing. If they are quiet, it's playing (although some hissing or crying may occur and it still will be playing). If they don't pin their ears back, it's probably playing.

Sometimes, this can be pretty rough and still be playing. My two guys sound like a herd of elephants! They growl, hiss and throw one another into the walls, but never draw blood or pull out fur.

You might have to stop rough play in order to keep them from damaging something. A cardboard barrier, small rug or towel helps with that. Sometimes, if you get directly between them when it's pretty hot and heavy, they'll redirect the energy toward you before they stop!

Sounds like your two will be just fine.

Melamber75

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No fur, no blood, no problem is a good general rule of thumb. If they are both coming back for more and no one is running away at the sight of the other they are probably fine. I do stop my guys when they get too close to breakables with a loud "knock it off" to which they look at me sheepishly and go out of my line of sight before restarting.

Here are some videos that might help, both are my crew playing (yes, Rocket is loud in play but it is play. She's actually quieter and runs away if she doesn't want to play)

View media item 420658View media item 421929
That is pretty much exactly what mine do as well. Usually Nova will bat Aurora's head and it starts. Thank you for the videos those actually really helped

Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My adult sister cats still wrestle, mostly when they are hungry, right before dinner time! Man, they throw each other down hard, but no one gets hurt. They have been doing this since they were kittens--working out the dominance issues, I guess. About six months ago, they fought "for real" and I could easily tell it was real fighting--the yowls and hissing, a tuft of fur flying. I stepped in to break up the real fight. (I don't know why the real fight occurred but it seemed to be isolated.)