Play differences between male and female cats?

lissalouie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quick question! Looking for anecdotal answers if possible.

As some of you know, I'm trying to find my 5-year-old neutered male cat Rory a new feline friend.

My older cat, Lou, passed away in September very unexpectedly. He was anywhere from 11-14 years old, depending on who you ask. He was with me for three years, and with Rory for one.

Despite the age difference, they played together amazingly. Rory deeply enriched the last year of Lou's life, and for that I am forever grateful.

Their play consisted of a lot of very mild, very low-energy wrestling, mutual chasing, hide-and-seek, and 'under the door pawsies'. They would also play together with me, taking turns with wand toys and the like. It was honestly ideal.

I adopted a 2-year-old cat last month who I was told was very mellow and gentle. It turned out he was just sick and had just been freshly neutered. While he obviously liked Rory, his play was far too high-energy and frantic for Rory to feel comfortable with, and that--combined with odd bouts of extreme territorialism likely caused by his late and recent neuter--made it clear they weren't a good match. (The second cat has since been rehomed into a perfect-for-him family, woohoo!)

So now I am thinking Rory will need a friend around his age or older. What I'm stuck on is the sex.

In addition to playing, Rory loved just sitting by Lou, lying down near him, cuddling when allowed, and grooming him when he could. Even with the 2-year-old cat, he was trying so hard to just... chill with him. I used to think Rory needed someone who would be ready to throw down at a moment's notice, but after the recent attempt, I think his energy is far lower than I had realized. I was viewing him in comparison with Lou, after all, whose energy blossomed with Rory--but who was still a senior cat.

That being said, I do think Rory would like to wrestle now and then.

My question is this: I've heard that, as a rule, female cats do NOT like rough-housing after their teenage years. Is this always true? I've never had a female cat before, and part of me would really like to try. I know differences between the sexes are largely moot after desexing, but is this an exception? I would hate to frustrate a new cat (and Rory!) by introducing them and realizing their mutual play styles were completely different. I plan on asking a thousand questions to the rescue staff, but I also know there are massive limitations to what they know--and inter-cat play styles is typically one of them.

So I'm just curious as to whether or not I should only consider male cats, or if the conventionally held wisdom that 'female cats don't wrestle for fun' isn't always the case. Thank you!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure what you mean by rough housing, but my 3 female cats,senior,are totally different. Maggie is territorial and still tries to chase peaches and wrestle with her. Peaches is the tiniest and oldest She does not like Maggie. Coco,timid cat, knocks things over, tears threw plastic to get bread,tears up toilet paper.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've also heard that, but...I've also known many exceptions to that rule. I really think that cats are so unique in their personalities, you're just going to have to play it by ear. I hate that, given the experience you just went through (and handled beautifully, BTW). I'd simply look for an older cat, either Rory's age or slightly older, who is thought to be quiet, calm, and cat friendly. In the 5-10 year range, you're more unlikely to end up with a cat whose idea of fun is parkour...or purrkour, as the case may be.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes certainly keep an eye on age and personality. If it's a cat used to hanging with other cats and doing similar things that will be best.

I've never had a female cat who wrestled. But I've seen female and male pairings that went beautifully (just not mine 😅).

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cart Maggie wrestles peaches and vice versa all females

Peaches when it comes to food or doesn't want to be bothered Maggie when she wants to play with peaches and she doesn't or peaches is in her spot,
Doesn't help that Maggie is much bigger

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never heard that about female cats but used to believe male cats where stinky and misserable creatures with a mean streak. Kabuto has a bit of a "manly musk" but he doesn't reek he also is the most chill cat i know.

So i think alot of theses stereotypes are exactly that stereotypes, not always true or set in stone.

Depending on the age though older cats may not be into roughhousing anymore usualy due to arthritis, senility or other painful medical conditions that come with age. This is connected to aging though, not personality.

Its hard to say but are you positive you aren't projecting your human feelings onto this cat? From your other posts he may just be happy as an only cat for his seinor years. Cats are mostly solitary and territorial (lions being the exeption). Again, not saying this is the case here but it is possable he actualy is happy as an only cat but you as a human are projecting your feelings of lonly onto him.

Im not saying this is the case but please take some time to really anilize the situation and remember that this is a living breathing companion for life.

I get there are many seinor cats in need of homes but just take your time with this. Don't spontainiously decide to get a second cat. Take your time and visit over a few days to assess the personality (how does this cat interact with me? With other cats? Energy levels? Medical conditions? Will they fit into my life? My family? ) it can be hard to assess this stuff from a cage so look for a organization that has a trial period.

This has gotten long so Ill leave you to think about it but please do think for a while on the matter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lissalouie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've never heard that about female cats but used to believe male cats where stinky and misserable creatures with a mean streak. Kabuto has a bit of a "manly musk" but he doesn't reek he also is the most chill cat i know.

So i think alot of theses stereotypes are exactly that stereotypes, not always true or set in stone.

Depending on the age though older cats may not be into roughhousing anymore usualy due to arthritis, senility or other painful medical conditions that come with age. This is connected to aging though, not personality.

Its hard to say but are you positive you aren't projecting your human feelings onto this cat? From your other posts he may just be happy as an only cat for his seinor years. Cats are mostly solitary and territorial (lions being the exeption). Again, not saying this is the case here but it is possable he actualy is happy as an only cat but you as a human are projecting your feelings of lonly onto him.

Im not saying this is the case but please take some time to really anilize the situation and remember that this is a living breathing companion for life.

I get there are many seinor cats in need of homes but just take your time with this. Don't spontainiously decide to get a second cat. Take your time and visit over a few days to assess the personality (how does this cat interact with me? With other cats? Energy levels? Medical conditions? Will they fit into my life? My family? ) it can be hard to assess this stuff from a cage so look for a organization that has a trial period.

This has gotten long so Ill leave you to think about it but please do think for a while on the matter.
Thank you for the kind reply!

I understand and appreciate your concern. I've decided to hold off on a second cat for a while longer to see how Rory adjusts as a solo cat. He's never, ever, EVER been an only cat before and was so profoundly happy with my last cat that I can't help but feel that he would be happier with a buddy. He's not that old yet (only a bit older than 5) so there's hopefully plenty of time to figure it out. I think he would love a friend who was respectful of him and would watch cat TV with him and maybe occasionally play, but right now he's okay. He has a dental surgery next month so I'm waiting until at least then, and giving him a chance to see how he likes being the only cat in the house.