Play Date For Cats?

neko2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I have a 5 months old male kitten, and a friend who lives in the same neighbourhood as me has a 1.5 year old female cat. Both of them are neutered/spayed. We thought it would be great if we can look after each other’s cat when we go away on vacation etc. The friend needs to go away for a month in December, so she was hoping I can take her cat in while she is away. But given the age & body size differences, we don’t know how well the two cats will get along. So is it a good idea to set up some “play dates” to get the two to know each other? Or is there a better way to do this? I know ideally the cat stays in her own home, and I don’t mind dropping in to check on the cat everyday, but wouldn’t she be too lonely to stay home for a month on her own?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately play dates don’t usually work for cats that don’t know one another or rarely see each other. Most cats need a period of time, which might be days or even weeks to get used to one another and even then the introduction needs to go slowly. So a few hours together will probably just mean hissing, stressed cats.

That is not to say you couldn’t watch each other’s cat while on vacation but the introductions would happen during that time.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I would keep your cats in their own environments. They are territorial creatures. It will create a lot of stress for them to be removed from their territory and to be moved to another cat’s territory or to have a cat enter their territory. Can you babysit each other’s cats by visiting their home a couple times a day?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neko2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately play dates don’t usually work for cats that don’t know one another or rarely see each other. Most cats need a period of time, which might be days or even weeks to get used to one another and even then the introduction needs to go slowly. So a few hours together will probably just mean hissing, stressed cats.

That is not to say you couldn’t watch each other’s cat while on vacation but the introductions would happen during that time.
Thanks for the reply! So say the two of them got to know each other during that one month, will they remember each other in a few months? It would be great if both cats can get used to the two homes (mine and the friend’s house). But if we need to reintroduce them everyone then I think we may as well just keep them in our own homes

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neko2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would keep your cats in their own environments. They are territorial creatures. It will create a lot of stress for them to be removed from their territory and to be moved to another cat’s territory or to have a cat enter their territory. Can you babysit each other’s cats by visiting their home a couple times a day?
I actually prefer to visit her home and check in the cat. The most I can do is once a day during weekdays though. I did offer this option, but one month does sound like a long time, and my friend is worried her cat will get too lonely and start to develop other behavior issues...

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually prefer to visit her home and check in the cat. The most I can do is once a day during weekdays though. I did offer this option, but one month does sound like a long time, and my friend is worried her cat will get too lonely and start to develop other behavior issues...
You’re right that one month is a long time. It probably would be best for her to get someone to come and stay at her place while she’s gone.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It is hard to say whether the two cats will remember one another if they were together for a month. It sort of depends on the cats but in general probably not