Play Aggression in 8 Month Old Kitten

milkdud

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! My husband and I got a kitten a few months ago (he was about 11-12 weeks). For the most part, he's incredibly affectionate. He sleeps on our laps, rubs our faces, and is overall quite needy and adorable :)

However, sometimes, he displays what I believe is play aggression (but I'm not totally sure). When we are both sitting on the couch in the evening, he'll jump up onto the couch and "screech" at us (a prolonged meow), and then pounce. It's never a hard bite, but he often pulls our shirts or places his teeth on our arms. It's usually out on nowhere. He also often bites our ankles and feet.

I play with him everyday for about 20 minutes in the morning with a wand toy, and often in the evening too. When he bites, we yell out, and put him in time out (the bedroom/hallway... It's a lot of space).

Any ideas for what else we can do? If it's just a phase it's fine, but I'm worried he'll always be a biter.

Thanks!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
He is exhibiting normal kitten behavior. If he had a sibling they would be constantly biting, kicking and wrestling with one another and he is just seeing you as his new playmates. Time outs don’t work that great for kittens but giving him a loud hiss or try to redirect his play to a toy that he can bite and wrestle does. When he gives you that warning screech I would have a large toy, like a stuffed animal his size ready to toss to him. Hopefully he will choose to beat that up instead of you. The other thing that always worked for me when I had a kitten being obnoxious was to pick them up and hold them for a minute or two, just so they can figure out I am bigger and am the boss. They hate being held when they are feeling playful and usually scamper off when set down.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is unfortunately not rare in kittens which were separated from their family too early and adopted without the playmate. Properly weaned kittens learn how to play through cat communication with their cat family. He plays with you the way he would be playing with his siblings. You can try to manage this by letting him know he's hurting you (exaggerated ow sound, hiss) and hoping it will be enough. The best you could do would be getting another kitten for him as a company, so that he has a chance to properly learn how to play. I personally don't believe that punishing him (time out) would be helpful.

Delayed weaning reduces behavioural problems in cats
Single-Kitten Syndrome - MEOW Cat Rescue

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Last edited:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a just loud enough to be slightly startling "no!" and it works pretty well over time. That said, I like susanm9006 susanm9006 reasoning of denying the fun by holding the kitten, and have sometimes done something similar, holding the kitten firmly (but making sure not to hurt them) against whatever limb they are attacking until they want to escape, then holding them there just long enough to get the message across.

I am not against squirt guns myself, but agree they don't seem right for this since you can get attacked anywhere in the house and won't have time to run for a spray bottle. I only consider spray bottles to defend a particular spot of high importance where the bottle can be left there. Nowadays I don't actually have any such spots in my house anymore, having mostly "gotten over it" but if I really and truly had a critical spot in the home, it is something that I would consider. (Hmm, maybe I should consider leaving one by my front door, since my converted indoor/outdoor cat has lost all fear of, well everything, and become the best door darter I've seen. Eh, probably not. I doubt it would deter him in the least.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

milkdud

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wanted to thank everyone for the responses! We're keeping up with the sharp "no's" to startle him. I love the idea of holding him tight- will definitely try it!

He is already neutered btw :)

We've also upped the playing which definitely helps.