Play Aggression Getting Painful

NyxHemera45

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
More often now my cat while playing will attack me, and while in the past it was gentle nibbles intermittent with licks, now it is hard bites with stronger holds and rarely any licks.
Please help.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Often with kittens we let them get in the habit of playing with our hands, and or feet. Then they get older, it hurts and we want them to stop. They dont understand that, as it is how they play with each other.

I try to never play with mine with hands, its hard. I use wand toys, or for close play a feather on a short stick type toy, or kicker. I also keep toy cat nip mice to throw if they start going for the hands. They love to chase those mice. Basically anything you can do to distract her from your hands, arms or other body parts. It may take time, just be consistent, dont interact with hands and any play, hands are for pets and cuddles only! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NyxHemera45

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Often with kittens we let them get in the habit of playing with our hands, and or feet. Then they get older, it hurts and we want them to stop. They dont understand that, as it is how they play with each other.

I try to never play with mine with hands, its hard. I use wand toys, or for close play a feather on a short stick type toy, or kicker. I also keep toy cat nip mice to throw if they start going for the hands. They love to chase those mice. Basically anything you can do to distract her from your hands, arms or other body parts. It may take time, just be consistent, dont interact with hands and any play, hands are for pets and cuddles only! :)
I have a lot of toys for her, and often she'll turn away from them to get me. Often once she gets hold she's hooked. Any suggestions on how to disconnect her so I can distract her?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try to watch her body language, if you think she is getting ready to get you, throw that mouse, or disengage the play. Distracting, or disengaging, before she gets you is the best. If mine ever get me, i try to very calmly get lose from then, then stop the pay time for a few moments. Mine are older now, so not so bad about it. Kittens can be harder. Mom is more fun to play with than any toy.