Plastic

babygirl2000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitty has loved to lick and sometimes bite plastic since he was a kitten. I have asked the vet about this and they don't know why he does this. I have yet to figure out why. I did hear somewhere that there something on plastic that attracts cats to it.. but I don't really know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babygirl2000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
plastic bags.. like from the grocery store or trash bags.. really anything that is plastic

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh right, how strange, well I suppose as long as you can keep an eye on him and the vet didnt seem too concerned, well you just got yourself a kitty with an fetish for plastic

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babygirl2000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do watch him very closely around plastic because the vet did say if he managed to bite off a piece it could get stuck in his throat.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babygirl2000

I do watch him very closely around plastic because the vet did say if he managed to bite off a piece it could get stuck in his throat.
oooo yeah , never thought of that really.

One of mine got his head stuck in the handle of a bag - he was being naughty, he pinched the bag, it had had a roasted chicken in a box in it, so I guess he smelt the chicken. I was putting all the shopping away and I just left the bags on the floor to put them away later. Well Dino pinched the bag, but he got spooked and the handles got stuck over his neck, he ran around the house like crazy
the more he ran the bag rustled more and spooked him more. He finally ran out through the cat-flap and under our car, the bag got caught on something under the car and came off. It took him 4-5 hrs before he settled and came back indoors ! He hates plastic bags now !

elania

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Whenerever I buy toys for my cats, they are more interested in the plastic bag that the store gives me to carry them home in. As long as you watch them like a hawk (so they don't swallow the plastic or suffocate themselves by getting stuck somehow) I don't think it's a problem.

Break the handles so they don't get stuck around their necks as per a previous post (happened to me too - but I managed to free Chloe before she got to carried away).

I let them play 'till they're bored with it then throw the bag away. Mine have never managed to bite chunks of, but the bag does tend to end up in shreds that couldd easily be eaten.

I once found a 'toy bag' expressly made for cats, a plastic bag with lots of holes clad in material. It made the same rustling noise as carrier bags (but was considerably more expensive) however, the girls never liked it, and wouldn't go near even though I put some of their favorite mice and ball toys in it and hit with catnip spray. I eventually threw it out.