Plastic cat fountain - Dishwasher?

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In an effort to help clean and eliminate the Giardia, I'm looking at buying Simon a new water fountain, but he's so dang picky that I think we'll just be getting a newer version of the same plastic one he already has (THIS one). When I messaged the manufacturer on amazon, they said the fountain shouldn't be put in the dishwasher, but I think they misunderstood and thought I meant putting the pump in too (which I did not and would not do). The basin, two separate plastic trays and the plastic flower piece are all a sturdy enough plastic that I think they would be able to withstand a cycle through the dishwasher on top-shelf.

What do y'all think? If you stick your plastic cat fountain parts in the dishwasher, do you use dishwasher tablets too or do you just let the hot water do the trick?

(Just to be clear, I would still be taking the filter pump apart and cleaning it by hand, which is not a big deal; I'm more worried about the nooks and crannies on the water basin that can sometimes get that weird pink film if I'm not careful but are extraordinarily difficult to get in and clean adequately)

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a Catit fountain that is similar and I do put the plastic pieces in the dishwasher on the top rack for a short cycle. I still use a bottle brush to scrub the parts first - especially the long thin part where the water comes up. I also scrub the pump part with a bristle brush - but not put in the dishwasher. I also put in filtered water when running the fountain.

Edited to say it is this one:flower-fountain