Plant Talk

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry for posting twice in a row. I am on my phone and can't write anything after I post another member's name. Anyway, I want to grow citrus trees indoors so much. And I have killed so many. I can almost hear them begging when I shop for plants. "Don't choose me. Please, anybody but me!"

I did have some luck when I worked in prison with carnivorous plants. But I would request they let my janitor in my office to water my plants if I had week long training and they never did. That would be the sad end to my Venus fly traps.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Those pink ones are nice, what kind of plant is that?

I have a terrarium with a tropical plant of some sort in it and a succulant "happy plant" that ive had since the pandemic and refuses to die.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is my full collection. I can go more in depth if anyone's interested!
I had a few plants during the pandemic but I am no good with plants. The succulents didn't make it. The orchids lived, grew more leaves and roots but I couldn't get them to bloom again. Didn't you have a lot of plants in water at one time?

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had an African violet make it 11 months. I was so proud. I bought it at a church Christmas sale before the pandemic. The woman was, I forget what you would call her, but she cross-bred plants to create different types. This one was called Vanilla Trails. It was not a typical African violet, as it produced vines. I am not sure what went wrong with it, but wish I could find another. I have much more success with outdoor plants.

Yours are absolutely beautiful.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My mom was nuts about african violets and had a friend who did that, the cross-breeding thing.

I have a plant that isn't safe for cats, so I can't talk about it (my felines have zero interest and only want grass to nibble on), but I have it in soil, plain water and in my betta fish and snail tanks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are so beautiful! Yes, I want to talk about plants. I'll have to get some photos of my latest set up to post here.

Are you using special grow lights with your plants?
I can't wait to see your latest set up!!

I don't know if I'd call them special. They were purchased from Amazon. They are very strong though because I often have issues with them scorching some of my plants as if they are getting full sun.

Sorry for posting twice in a row. I am on my phone and can't write anything after I post another member's name. Anyway, I want to grow citrus trees indoors so much. And I have killed so many. I can almost hear them begging when I shop for plants. "Don't choose me. Please, anybody but me!"

I did have some luck when I worked in prison with carnivorous plants. But I would request they let my janitor in my office to water my plants if I had week long training and they never did. That would be the sad end to my Venus fly traps.
Hmm... unfortunately, I only know about citrus in the form of bonsai. I have a citrus tree indoors at my moms house that has been doing very well.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Those pink ones are nice, what kind of plant is that?

I have a terrarium with a tropical plant of some sort in it and a succulant "happy plant" that ive had since the pandemic and refuses to die.
I'd love to see pictures of your terrarium!

Which pink one? I've got tradescantia Nanouk, Philodendron Pink Princess, peperomia ginny, tradescantia Zebrina, and some others.

I had a few plants during the pandemic but I am no good with plants. The succulents didn't make it. The orchids lived, grew more leaves and roots but I couldn't get them to bloom again. Didn't you have a lot of plants in water at one time?
What was your set up and care routine like? I was like that in the beginning. Unfortunately, some plants have to die before you find a rhythm.

Wow! You remember them? Yes, I did. When I had a fish tank. I had a ton of plants growing out of it.

Jahpan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do not because all mine have died in my care 😭 but I do love the occasional succulent!! Some are super cute!! But my brother in law who lives in kentucky has a etsy and tiktok called Swinglerbotanicals. He sells/grows plants but also puts them in cute terraniums!! I have gotten little glass ones they are pretty neat! TikTok - Make Your Day

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a few- a stephanotis, hibiscus tree( who is VERY unhappy at the moment), cardamom plant, several asparagus ferns, a jasmine vine, several aloe plants, and 3 or 4 Christmas cactus and 1 Easter cactus, a dragon fruit cactus, Spider plants, and a Norfolk Island Pine.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily , do you know anything about succulents? Or anyone else of course.

I bought this succulent at our local farmer's market yesterday. The vendor told me it's a kalanchoe. When I used the ID feature on Google, though, it says it's an echeveria shaviana.

There are tons of varieties of both species, and in the end, it doesn't really matter which it is, I'm just always curious about these things.
It's supposed to eventually develop a long stem with flowers. I can't wait to see what it will look like in bloom.

Isn't this cool--the leaves are so odd-looking.
IMG_3486.JPG

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
It definitely looks like an echeveria. I think Kalanchoe's tend to branch out more like peperomias and jade plants. Echeverias tend to only have a center growth point and continue to get taller and taller. :)

Regardless, it's a very beautiful plant!

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was approved for a grant with the Minnesota Board of Water and Soil Resources to plant pollinator-friendly plants in my yard, so I've been planning a rain garden for my front yard. I was already planning on installing a French drain to help with keeping water out of my basement, so I'm going to use that drain and my gutters to get more water into the rain garden. I have the design planned out, but I'm still finalizing the plants I'm going to choose, especially since in order to get the grant I can only get the plants from approved nurseries that have native plants and there aren't a ton of options around me.

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
It definitely looks like an echeveria. I think Kalanchoe's tend to branch out more like peperomias and jade plants. Echeverias tend to only have a center growth point and continue to get taller and taller. :)

Regardless, it's a very beautiful plant!
Thanks for that information! The guy who sold it to me did say it would get taller.

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
I was approved for a grant with the Minnesota Board of Water and Soil Resources to plant pollinator-friendly plants in my yard, so I've been planning a rain garden for my front yard. I was already planning on installing a French drain to help with keeping water out of my basement, so I'm going to use that drain and my gutters to get more water into the rain garden. I have the design planned out, but I'm still finalizing the plants I'm going to choose, especially since in order to get the grant I can only get the plants from approved nurseries that have native plants and there aren't a ton of options around me.
What a fun project! Be sure to share the plan with us when you get it finalized.