plant digging

jubiemc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So we have a problem with my cat batman digging in the plants its not just a small hole he emptied the middle of a large plant all over the floor !? He wont stay out of them hes not peeing or pooping in them he literaly diggs them out then plays in the dirt.... anyone have any suggestions on how to keep him out of them?

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You could try putting rocks/decorative smooth landscaping rocks on top of the dirt so he can't dig.

Last edited:

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So we have a problem with my cat batman digging in the plants its not just a small hole he emptied the middle of a large plant all over the floor !? He wont stay out of them hes not peeing or pooping in them he literaly diggs them out then plays in the dirt.... anyone have any suggestions on how to keep him out of them?
I would recommend, that, you buy toothpicks.  Then, you, simply stick them in the soil. Make sure, that, the cat can see some of the toothpicks and others, that, he can feel, since, they are buried or at least partially buried, in the soil That should deter your domestic cat. Another idea, that, you could try, is, putting orange or lemon scented items (sprays on a cloth or the actual plant pot dirt) and see if, that, deters your cat. You could also try, putting actual pieces of Orange and Lemon on the soil itself. I have also herd of, people, using month balls. But, I am not sure, how, safe that is for the cat or the plant. So, I would say, use good judgement, if/when, you try that idea.

With my hybrids (F1 Bengal and F3 Savannah) it required pieces of bamboo (dead) with some sharp points, hidden in the dirt, to stop the behavior. My Serval, when, he was alive, just, knocked the plants over and chewed them
You could try putting rocks/decorative smooth landscaping rocks on top of the dirt so he can't dig.
That, would be the simplest solution. Plus, the most athletically pleasing. Great idea
. I wish, I had you around, when, I had all the above cats listed. I am sure, heavy slate or river rock, would have solved my problem
. I just never thought of it, till, well..... just now

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I'm not sure how fair it is to keep a pot of dirt in the house and expect a cat NOT to dig in it!  :lol3: All my plants hang from the ceiling. But if you really want to try it, big rocks should help.

jacks dad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our Cat Jack is just over a year old. He's a bit 'special' and does the oddest things even by cat standards.

Recently he's been obsessed with digging, he kicks up dirt everywhere, digs massive holes for no apparent reason.

He slips out the front and immediately proceeds to destroy the neighbour's flower beds, so have stopped him from going out the front which is torture for him as he prefers the front, but the old neighbour (although she likes Jack) doesn't want him digging craters in her garden.

Have read a few posts regarding deterrents and will try these but I'm more wondering why he does this?

1 - toilet issues? We have a courtyard in the back with small beds where he toilets, he digs these to such a mess and ultimately ablutes in the same spot each time. Should I put out a litter-box him (historically this ends up all over the kitchen floor with bits of poo)

2 - Is he bored? Considering getting him a friend, we had another cat when he arrived but unfortunately she passed away. He is a friendly fellow but wonder now if he hasn't gotten used to ruling the roost?

3 - Is he mentally challenged? lol. we seriously wonder about this.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jubiemc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Haha we have rocks ibn all our plants now seems to be helping. He has two sisters but they dont really want much to do with him because hes nutty lol