Plan B For My Sweet Kitters Then It Is...help!

Melinagrace

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
I thought a fun font would help me not have so much anxiety about my first time posting that my baby has a problem. I will put the short version right up top for y'all who don't like long-windedness, and then for those who wanna lend a shoulder for a tearful furmommy, can keep readin' after dat.

Short version: A month ago, Milo began this deep chesty cough following by sputtering about once or twice a day - each time for about 1 to 2 minutes. And it was on the weekend (vet closed!), so I left a message and vet called me back - said to wipe everything down, bathe him, brush him, and give him Zyrtec til I could bring him in when she opens the next Tuesday. Tests all neg but she still hears congestion in chest, wanted steroids, I didn't. She's ok I want to try natural route first. What are some ideas that have worked for y'all that I can research or run by her to see if it may be worth trying on Milo?Thank you <3

Furmommy long version: Milo is two years old this month, whom I adopted from a rescue I volunteer for from time to time. He is a ragdoll mix, and since we've had him at about 6 weeks along, he's never gone outside. I live in Texas - where humans and nonhumans all have allergies, and the humidity is awful - doesn't help. Checked with the vet - after everything came up negative, she suggested options would be antibiotics and/or steroids and/or inhaler, saying she has seen a lot of animals lately with the same symptoms and feels I may be right in that allergies may be part of the problem. Ryan my 7 year old was dx with asthma just a few months ago after a long illness with bronchitis - when his cough didn't go away and I heard that same nighttime cough my oldest son had when he was little, I knew before I ever went into the pediatrician what he'd say. I did use all the things available for my human kiddos but remember quite well the side effects from the albuterol, the intal, the breathing treatments 3 a day - with more on worse days. And Milo can't talk like my kids could when their side effects were bad - so that's why I am so hesitant. His vet is great, she supports my wanting to try the natural route, and made me promise to call if he gets worse, which I did. That's been about 3 weeks ago, and so far he's not worse but still doing the daily cough - Hims is a big baby...about 15 pounds, just over that. So he's not better either. I've had pets my whole life - never ever not had a pet, and I'm early 40's - and in all those furbabies, I've never had a pet that had breathing issues. So this is total uncharted territory! I soothe him through each "attack," tell him I'm so sorry he goes through that, and I can tell it helps him, and he's such a mommy's boy - he was before but he really is now. is it bad that his illness has bonded us more? It hurts so MUCH to not be able to do anything for him - much less understand him when he meows so much at me - he's trying to tell me something, but I don't know what - "hey give me more catnip mommy" or "here it comes another one mommy I need you" or "make it stop mommy" (and doesn't understand why). it's hard to not just bawl when he does, it breaks my heart, and I'm scared he's just going to sputter for the last time. you know how a car sounds when you try to start it and it barely starts then sputters and shakes a few times and dies? k well that's what he does. except for dying ofc.
I'm having a hard time too bc I have my own mental health ailments namely depression to deal with. I am trying to stay strong but it gets harder and harder. and I don't know anything about anything to try or even a starting place aside frm what I've done so far. and his vet isn't seasoned in natural things at all either. I tried finding a holistic vet and the only one is far away and is over 400 and I don't have that right now. sigh. please someone can you help or offer what's worked for y'all? <3

Yodasmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat had a similar problem and we have done several rounds of steroids/prednisone with no side effects. If your cat is still having a problem, you might want to just try it.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is he still coughing? If so, could be asthma. That would benefit greatly from steroid treatment. I have an asthmatic kitty and she gets a prednisolone shot about 2x (every 6-9 months as needed) a year to keep her asthma in check. She gets a daily antihistamine as well.

If it's "just" a kitty cold you can ride it out, but if he becomes very lethargic or stops eating, playing, or has a change in appetite, then he needs to get to the vet ASAP.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Milo’s beautiful.

Does your vet think this is asthma? For what it’s worth, cats tolerate steroids a lot better (meaning, with fewer complications) than humans. But there are also inhaled medications for asthma, as you surely know, though with kids, you might not have the time to administer them.

Good luck, let us know what happens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Melinagrace

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank y'all. I work from home so I have the time, thank goodness. yes she is leaning toward asthma but is unsure bc he doesn't pant, or refrain from jumping or moving about, is eating normally, going woo normally (that's made-up family word for wee and poo haha), no change otherwise. it's isolated to these attacks as they were. other than that, Milo is as he has always been.