Plain yogurt and cats— any positive notes?

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
So my cat is going through an IBS flare up & I’m back to the days of yore of getting that tricky balance between …too much pumpkin? Not enough? Built up resistance to novel protein? Anyway I read that it is OK to give cats a tiny amount of plain yogurt to help with the runs. I gave him a teaspoonful and he scoffed it. I think he would have eaten the plate. He gave me a look like: “Why have you deprived me of yogurt all my life?” I just wondered if anyone had anything positive to say about plain yogurt and cats.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do have something positive to say about plain yogurt and cats! Back, er, about forty years ago, when my housemates and I took in two stray kittens. They needed antibiotics for an infection; when the antibiotics were gone, the vet told us to give them plain yogurt for a few days. One of the cats loved the yogurt so much that she'd stick her face into the spoon every time I fed it. We called her Yogurtface!

From a more contemporary angle, I was just listening to a holistic vet webinar about gut health where they referred to yogurt as a sort of 1.0 version of probiotics for cats and dogs. (They didn't word it quite like "1.0" but that was the gist.) After that came probiotics in capsules and other supplements. And now there are poop pills.

I hope your cat's feeling better again soon!

KittenAppliance

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my cat is going through an IBS flare up & I’m back to the days of yore of getting that tricky balance between …too much pumpkin? Not enough? Built up resistance to novel protein? Anyway I read that it is OK to give cats a tiny amount of plain yogurt to help with the runs. I gave him a teaspoonful and he scoffed it. I think he would have eaten the plate. He gave me a look like: “Why have you deprived me of yogurt all my life?” I just wondered if anyone had anything positive to say about plain yogurt and cats.
I honestly give my cats a little bit of yogurt pretty much anytime I give myself yogurt. Plain Greek style yogurt.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I used to give Nobel some as a treat. The calcium can cause calcium stones in the bladder long term.