Pkd In Persian

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm ashamed that I was uneducated about this when I got her and I'm angry because this could have been prevented, but mostly sad. I hate that I won't see Elfie reach her senior years and I'm afraid that she will be in pain.

I got Elfie DNA tested because I got her from someone who - I realise now - was breeding irresponsibly. Yeah, I should have known, I should have asked, I should have asked for papers and should have done my research before getting a cat, hindsight is strong. Either way, she tested positive for Polycystic Kidney Disease. I haven't been to a vet yet, but I will in the new year.

Honestly, I have no idea where to go from here. I've looked into it briefly but I think I'm still processing. When I look at her I feel like I'm just waiting for her to suddenly start showing signs and die. She's 2 years old now, and not showing any symptoms.

Does anyone here have experience with this who can help me out or point me to some good resources? I should probably go to a vet to get started and have the ultrasound done to see what the state of her kidneys are.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's a really tough one, since it's genetic. I think there are just a couple members who've had cats with this, but, unfortunately, with any type of kidney disease, the outcome ultimately is not good. I've had three kidney cats myself, although they had chronic kidney disease, not genetic. Either way, it's a bummer, to put it mildly.

Here is MY "go to" for kidney disease, and there may be something in there for PKD, I'm just not sure: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat

:vibes::vibes::vibes:

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, don't panic yet. Some PKD positive cats live their entire lives and pass from something other than PKD. It just depends on how many cysts are in the kidneys. I have had 2 PKD positive cats before I began breeding and the DNA test was developed. Unfortunately, my cats had the type that progressed fast and I lost both at a young age. Don't kick yourself about not asking the right questions - most newbies don't.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's a really tough one, since it's genetic. I think there are just a couple members who've had cats with this, but, unfortunately, with any type of kidney disease, the outcome ultimately is not good. I've had three kidney cats myself, although they had chronic kidney disease, not genetic. Either way, it's a bummer, to put it mildly.

Here is MY "go to" for kidney disease, and there may be something in there for PKD, I'm just not sure: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat

:vibes::vibes::vibes:
Thank you. I had a brief look at that website and I'll definitely go look around and read more later today. I think I found that yesterday when I was googling diet. Do you think it would be good if I put Elfie on low phosphorus diet already or the kidney specific diets? I don't know if I should since she isn't showing symptoms.

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
First, don't panic yet. Some PKD positive cats live their entire lives and pass from something other than PKD. It just depends on how many cysts are in the kidneys. I have had 2 PKD positive cats before I began breeding and the DNA test was developed. Unfortunately, my cats had the type that progressed fast and I lost both at a young age. Don't kick yourself about not asking the right questions - most newbies don't.
What age did they die? You found out through ultrasound I imagine? I'm anxious to get the ultrasound done to see what's happening in there and what the prognosis is. Thank you for your words. This is a particularly lonely thing to have to process.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of my cats died young - around 2. It was confirmed by ultrasound. Just a word of advice, when having the ultrasound done, be certain that the tech is certified for the machine they are using. Some are better than others for this purpose and I know you want the best results possible. If I recall correctly, the treatment for PKD cats and CRF cats is pretty much the same. It was a long time ago this happened. As soon as the DNA test became available I had all of my cats tested before I started breeding. The DNA test only tests for PKD1, the most common type and it that one that is inherited. In humans there is another type of PKD and it is thought that that type is possible in cats, but it has not been proven yet to my knowledge.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
. Do you think it would be good if I put Elfie on low phosphorus diet already or the kidney specific diets? I don't know if I should since she isn't showing symptoms.
I just don't know. She tested positive, but do you have any blood results? I would leave this up to her Vet at the moment

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Both of my cats died young - around 2. It was confirmed by ultrasound. Just a word of advice, when having the ultrasound done, be certain that the tech is certified for the machine they are using. Some are better than others for this purpose and I know you want the best results possible. If I recall correctly, the treatment for PKD cats and CRF cats is pretty much the same. It was a long time ago this happened. As soon as the DNA test became available I had all of my cats tested before I started breeding. The DNA test only tests for PKD1, the most common type and it that one that is inherited. In humans there is another type of PKD and it is thought that that type is possible in cats, but it has not been proven yet to my knowledge.
Ah okay. Yeah Elfie is just a pet I never planned to breed with her, but after I realized that I bought her in ignorance I figured I'd just have the tests done to rule it out. Wasn't that expensive. Wish I had known beforehand. Thanks for the advice though, I will certainly ask them if any of them is certified/expierenced with ultrasound.

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just don't know. She tested positive, but do you have any blood results? I would leave this up to her Vet at the moment
No blood results yet. Thank you, I'll wait for them to advise me in that.