Piv In Cat Fluid In Lungs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I noticed my tabby cat not breathing well last night this morning I found him outside breathing worse and really struggling to breath. I took him to the vet and they did blood test and X-rays which showed he was positive for PIV and has a lot of fluid built up around his lungs. The vet said she could drain the fluid but was not positive it would built right back up. He was really struggling and I could tell he was in pain. I decided to put him down so he wouldn't suffer anymore however I feel like I made the wrong decision. I am so heartbroken. Has anyone else's cat been through this? I just want to know I made the right decision. I didn't want to prolong his suffering but can't help but to wonder what would have happened if fluid was drawn if he would have gotten better. Please help

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
PIV, or Para Influenza Virus, is an often treatable virus. If your cat had fluid in his lungs, it could have been drained, and he could have been given antibiotics and prednisone as a means of supportive care in case he had a secondary infection in his lungs.

He would most likely have felt immediately better, but we'll never know if he would have overcome the virus eventually or not since he was put down. Perhaps the chances were good, or 50/50, or slim to none.

How old was your cat? An older cat might struggle more with the virus than a younger cat.

I often feel that vets too often suggest euthanasia rather than treatment. I see euthanasia as a final option after treatment has been tried.

However, it really depends on the situation - your cat, its age, its overall health, prognosis, how much treatment would cost and whether you can afford it, etc. It's truly a personal decision, and often best to "sleep on it" before deciding, if possible.

Your cat is out of pain now, and you did what you felt was best for him at that time. Try to celebrate your fond memories of him rather than dwelling on regrets.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tabkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He was 4. She told me it was probably best to put him down since he also had the PIV. When she drained some of the fluids it's was really bloody

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like your kitty was very sick.

If you get another kitten or cat, consider keeping it as an indoor-only pet. They live much longer, healthier lives indoors.

I'm sorry you had to make such a tough decision. It's never easy to say goodbye to a beloved pet.

Do you have a picture of your cat you could post?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
T Tabkat I'm so sorry you lost your boy. It is a very difficult decision to make; many others here write about their angst after euthanasia.
Your cat was suffering terribly, you listened to your vet and you were able to relieve your boy's misery. I think that is what you need to remember, along with the memories of the wonderful times he had with you.

Would it be helpful to start a thread in our Crossing the Bridge forum? Many of our members find it therapeutic to have a thread in their cat's honour.
We'll lock this thread now out of respect for your boy.

:rbheart::rbheart::rbheart::rbheart::rbheart::rbheart:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.