Pink Vomit, Lose Of Appetite, Lethargic

Patomas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

My first post in this site but I've been reading for some time now. My family's cat is a 8-mo old female called Perla. Since Sunday she's been vomiting pink-ish liquid. She's not eating at all and barely having anything to drink. Took her to the vet and she did a X-ray but found nothing. Found her a little dehydrated. She's prescribed her Metronidazol and gave her a needle of Cerenia. She's just starting with the meds but I see no improvement. I've been forcing liquid in today (lytes) every 2 hours.

As you can imagine I've sick worry. Just wondering if this sounds familiar to some folks and if they would have advise. I spent a bundle today and I'm afraid I won't be able to keep up if she needs more diagnostics or blood work.

Any input is really appreciated.
Thanks

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I’m sorry to hear about this. I hope Perla starts feeling better soon.

There can be a lot of causes for feline vomiting, which can make it hard to pinpoint the exact problem in an individual cat’s case. This article: Your Cat Throwing Up? gives more info. Did they run any tests at the vet other than the x-ray? A fecal flotation test to check for parasites?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Patomas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi abyeb. she was tested for worms late last year and it was negative. I'll check out the link you shared. thanks

Patomas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
did a quick search on poisonous household plants ... lo and behold the one and only plant I have indoors is poisonous ... Schefflera. I have removed it from the premises. Perla is slightly better but she's still not eating. The wife is looking after her today ...

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm assuming a parvo test was done (for feline panleukopenia) and it was negative? I've been dealing with a lot of panleuk and I see vomiting and no appetite with that. However, they usually pass pretty quickly from that. :(
If your cat has ingested the plant, your vet needs to know--there may be damage to liver or kidneys.

Patomas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet knows and she said that it is unlikely to be fatal; she said symptoms would be vomiting and diarrhea, but typically there is a good prognosis if the cat didn't eat much. Unfortunately, we don't know for sure this is the root cause ... :(

kat hamlin kat hamlin I hope your cat is better. I don't think mine has a virus but who knows ...

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet knows and she said that it is unlikely to be fatal; she said symptoms would be vomiting and diarrhea, but typically there is a good prognosis if the cat didn't eat much. Unfortunately, we don't know for sure this is the root cause ... :(

kat hamlin kat hamlin I hope your cat is better. I don't think mine has a virus but who knows ...
Thanks, we are in super quarantine mode right now but at least nobody is currently sick.
So a parvo test was done on your kitty?

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Was there signs that the plant had been nibbled on? My cats are bad for getting into plants, even when I think I've put them out of reach.

Patomas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: the cat is in hospital, they are going to run some tests (blood work, stool sample, ultrasound if needed). For the time being she's in good hands. I just hope they get to the bottom of the issue.

Patomas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not good and that was one of the reasons I had her admitted. The vet should call me by 5:00 with an update. I have my fingers crossed ...

Patomas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet called this morning and Perla is feeling much better :woo:
She said Perla is still not completely out of the wood but she's now eating and much more active than yesterday
There are good chances Perla will be discharged today :bunnydance:

Most likely cause of her illness: a nasty stomach flu

Thanks for all your support