Pine Sol...

catzorz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I know pine sol (the liquid and fumes) are toxic to cats...but what about just the fumes from natural, unfinished pine wood?

I just got some unfinished pine furniture and man...it's really smelly.

Is it ok for my cats to be around?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
While pine trees are mildly toxic to cats, so long as they don't actually LICK the furniture, and so long as the room is reasonably well ventillated, you are probably fine. Pine-Sol and pine essential oils contain a much higher concentration of the phenols and hydrosols than just the wood, which has been seasoned and dried before being made into furniture. Unless there is sap actually bleeding from the furniture, in which case, all bets are off.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think the pine furniture is fine. I do a lot of woodworking and nothing ever bothered my cats. They really weren't interested in what I was doing or the furniture.

msedward

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know this is a bit of a necrothread. but has anyone actually read the label on modern Pine-sol???? the use of Pine oil and phenols has been eliminated in them COMPLETELY since the end of 2013.

msedward

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
since I can't seem to find a way to edit my posts, I'll finish up with a second post.

Pine-sol is nothing but a name in regards to the original formula. Pine oil has gotten STUPIDLY expensive and in Jan of 2014 they completely eliminated it from their Pine-Sol production line, which got rid of the phenols that were so deadly to animals. Long story short, you can still find the original formula with limited amounts of pine oil in it, but it's only from the website and has to be special ordered. Pine-sol that you get from the local walmart doesn't use Pine Oil in it at all, but rather Glycyl alcohol as the main ingredient.

That's not to say that you can let your cat chug the stuff and not bat an eyelash, or roll around in the liquid and what not.. it's still a cleaning chemical and a fairly harsh one at that, but the kneejerk reaction of "oh my goodness!! pine-sol is inherently toxic and will kill your cat because of phenols!" isn't really a thing anymore. The phenols and Pine Oil (where the phenols came from) have been reformulated out of the ingredient list almost 6 years ago, and it's nothing more than your average house hold cleaner. Not only that it's labeled as being pet safe for free range pet areas and lots of shelters have started using it again because it's dang effective.

Like many, I would rather use a different chemical (I used it in the last few years, but I've switched all my cleanup mopping to vinegar and hot water simply because of how benign it is), but again, the blanket statement of "Pine-sol is 100% deadly!" is in past formulations and something that needs to be updated in our conversations about it

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
M msedward Thanks for that information! I, personally, don't care for it, so haven't used it in decades! Never too late for good information!

OH...you'll get an edit button after you've been a member for 5 days, and have made 20 posts.

msedward

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yeah, that's the only reason I posted it. I wasn't meaning to come off as snobbish, but I noticed with some google-fu that people were STILL copy/pasting the old info about Phenols in Pine-sol even though they had eliminated them so I just wanted to update the most modern conversation we had about them.

anywhoo, thanks for the info on the edit button, I was scratching my head for a bit looking around wondering if I was just going crazy, or missing a cute little emoji like edit button before I had my morning coffee :D

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was scratching my head for a bit looking around wondering if I was just going crazy, or missing a cute little emoji like edit button before I had my morning coffee :D
Whereas I miss large things, like a rhinoceros in my bathroom, before the second cup.