Pine Pellet Cat Litter Disposing

Edleen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi there,
I'm using line pellets for my cats litter box and I've been disposing the poop in a small trash can outside. This morning I noticed that there were worms or maggots all inside! Can I just flush the poop and dispose of the saw dust in the trash can? The pellets should become dust once their wet but I heard flushing cat poop is bad for the environment because if the cat has some disease it can poison sea otters or whatever? I don't know what to do. I might just flush the poop but I don't want to harm the environment but I also do t want maggots. Help!!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you bag the poop and then dispose the bag into the trash?
I use an empty pail with a lid sitting right by the litter boxes, that I put the bag(s, sometimes I double bag) into so the bag is held open, and put the lid on so there's no smell and the flies can't get in.
Then when it's full I just take the bag out to the main trash can/barrel :)

soubida

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We just flush the poop (with a the little amount of pellets that stick to it) with no problems... as for the saw dust we collect them in a paper bag and dispose of it as compost along with the yard trimmings and other food scraps.

Shikaslate

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Gross! Sorry about the maggot problem. Do you bag the poop? I use doggie bags to bag up the poop, tie them, and toss them into the large trash can that the garbage service empties every week. No smell, no maggots, no dirty trash can, no problems. The doggie bags can be found in any pet store, online--even at Ikea. Or you can just reuse old plastic bags.

I've also heard about a product called Litter Genie but im my opinion its just another trash can to empty every Sunday.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I used a Litter Genie. Living in a small apartment, I can attest it worked really well. I emptied it, twice a week.. no smell at all.