Pilling My Cats - My Method

Dove5591

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Idk of any cat that likes to take a pill. Our elderly cats are all over the rainbow bridge now but I thought I'd share what I had done. This takes time and patience and also assumes that the cat is willing to eat. None of our cats liked the paste or treats that you mold around a pill. Our last boy would ONLY eat kibble and crunch. He would not eat soft food of any sort, no soft treats and no human prepared food such as chicken beef, etc. and not even the appetite stimulating food at the vet. Materials needed: pill splitter or sharp knife, paper plate, some sharp picking tools (almost like a dentist would use), Temptation treats, good working area, desk or kitchen table. (Found a set of picking tools at Harbor Freight.)
So....I took a pill splitter or a very sharp small knife and split the pill in half or quarters depending on its size. Then I'd dump some Temptations out on the paper plate and look for the ones that are the "puffiest." I took a very pointy tool and "drilled" a hole in the center of the treat until I could get a piece of the pill in it. You can use some of the cream that was drilled out as "spackling" over the hole. Sometimes the treat will split in half and I'd have to start over with a new one. I'd put these down (pill side down) with a couple other treats that didn't have a pill in them and he'd gobble them up. I had great success with this method.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
D Dove5591 : Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Thanks for sharing your pill giving tip. Since you've started the thread, thought I'd add this Youtube video which puts a visual to your method.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dove5591

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:D I should have done a video! Great idea...altho the pill popper used as sealant would have been a deal breaker for my boy. It's so funny how picky some cats can be. We had one that would eat anything that wouldn't eat him first!

daryl the cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for this thread. I started Dodger on a long-term med a week ago and it's been a real struggle. He won't touch pill pockets or anything else I've tried to hide the pill in. Pilling has been a nightmare. The YouTube videos make pilling look so easy with their laid back, docile cat. Dodger is not one of these cats. I've had to push the pill into the back of his mouth with a little Churu tuna paste. He's not happy about this at all. Now he's running from me and won't even get in my lap now. I feel like I've betrayed his trust.

He LOVES Temptations. I'm trying this tomorrow!

Dove5591

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope it works for Dodger and you! Yes, when you try to force anything on a cat, then the cat becomes hand-shy. My tuxie from long ago had Lyme disease so we had to give him doxycycline for weeks. They didn't even make Temptations at that time. I found some soft treats that I could press tiny fragments of the pills into. You can never depend on crushing the pill and putting it with wet food as you risk the cat rejecting that or not eating all of it. I also have a mortar and pestle (from Amazon) and have been known to reduce the pill to actual dust and mix that with a small amount of food. This would be for a cat that is not really finicky. Keep us posted on the Temptations caper!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't use food at all when giving Kabuto his pill. He is already thin enough I don't want to create a food aversion.

My vet taught me how to give pills by hand a long time ago after I went through the food aversion (food =spiked) thing before with a different cat.

Kabuto actualy gets upset if I don't give him his pill on time. I always direct him to the fountain afterwords, its easier if the cat will drink on their own than shooting a srynge into their mouth.

Kabuto gets 1/2 a 2.5 mg tab of felimezole twice a day.

daryl the cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It worked!!! The pill was way too big for the tiny opening, so I had to split the pill into fragments and work them into the tiny crevices. It took 3 treats. I covered the opening with the filling and then crushed some of the crunchy part and mushed it over the top. I was afraid if he tasted even a hint of the pill residue he'd reject them. He devoured them all! And he's not mad at me tonight :)

This will take some practice, but it has been the easiest thing I've tried so far. I'm going to write Mars and suggest making a pill pocket version of Temptations where the treats are a little fatter and there's a hole in the top. Could be a big money maker for them!

Dove5591

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am ~~~thrilled~~~to hear that!!! I hope he doesn't catch on. I know the process is very tedious but it's worth it. I have often thought of writing Mars and suggesting they make a pill pocket but have never done it.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Pill pockes are probably patented i could be wrong though. Jackson Galaxy showed a pill paste

Idk how well it works though never tried it.