Pilling a Cat

psy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I need help, I am at the end of my rope with this and I don't know what to do. I have this rescue cat and I have recently discovered he has tape worms so I bought some tapeworm pills and I cannot give them to him because he is impossible. I have tried putting them in treats, in food, in tuna. I can't pill him. He goes insane and it is impossible for me to hold him still in order to administer the pill. He claws and bites and twists and fights and I am not only getting ripped to shreds by him when I try to hold him to give him a pill but I am afraid that he is going to get hurt. I have tried wrapping him in blankets and towels. I am at my wits end with him and need some advice. I have no one to help me hold him and I just don't know what to do I can't have him infesting the rest of the cats with worms and I have no where to quarantine him. Does anyone have any suggestions?

reginakitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If it is really bad,
1. You could leave him at the vets and have them do it until the dosage is done. Is that possible? I know everything costs...but your sanity is worth a million. And since he is a rescue, they should have a 'rescue or stray' rate.
If not, find a vet who helps people who rescue strays.
2. Or , is there a good rescue group near you who might have suggestions or a person to come help? He may need to be in a cage during the medication period. They still go crazy though and one needs good strong technique at handling so you don't get bitten and it goes down quick. Did you try the pill syringes?
Are you planning on keeping him/her?
3, Is the cat otherwise domestic in nature? -- knowing there is always an adjustment period. They have been through a lot.
Can you hold him/her? If so - it should be available to slip in a pill.
You can get them on a table or bed - (put a 'cat blanket' to cover your area) where you can put your body sort of on top and be swift.

Wishing you all the best......there may be someone out there with more experience in that area..,most of my 7 cats are ok with meds .

crazybird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are you trying to pill him by hand?

I have fostered many, many a cat from kittens to oldies, and have 5 of my own. I have always been able to pill every cat ever by hand.

Until Meatball.

Meatball came to me a 10 week old kitten. He was on Clavamox, terramycin, and needed a drontal. The liquids and eye meds were enough to drive anyone batty but the drontal PILL ended in me being pretty well bitten on the finger. He absolutely spazzes when being medicated, even at such a young age.

The president of our HS ordered me some "pillers" and they are WONDERFUL. I'm sure others here use them....They look like plungers, and you just set the pill in the end of the tube, put it in kitty's mouth and push the plunger and pop, down the throat it goes. I can't beleive I've been doin' it with my fingers all these years...... I highly recommend them!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

psy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He has been here with me for over 6 months I have not been able to find him a home. The tapeworms just presented a week or so ago. Having just spent over 2k because of a horrible URI that caused one of them to be hospitalized for a week I was hoping to avoid having to pay the vet to pill him. I will if I have to but was hoping for another solution. He is domestic and he will let me hold him but he also seems to have some kind of crazy pill radar and just knows when I have one and goes nuts. If I tried to give it to him while holding him he would rip me to shreds. I have a pill syringe but have been unable to hold him still enough to open his mouth and pill him. I will call the local rescue and see if they can help but last time I asked them for help they were very unhelpful so I honestly doubt it. I want to find him a new home but have had no luck so far because people want kittens so he will stay here until he finds a home and if he does not find one he will just stay. I won't abandon him and all the no kill shelters are full. I took him in because he was hurt and I couldn't leave him to who knows what fate when he could barely walk. so I took him to the vet and he has been here ever since.

crazybird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could offer him some human chicken baby food.... if he likes it, then crush the pill up and mix it into the chicken baby food and give it to him as a 'treat'. I've used gerber baby food to get some finicky eaters to eat before, and everyone seems to like it.... I'd think it'd be great to "hide" pills in?

reginakitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
God Bless You for saving him.
'Meatball's' ' story above is a good one.
Sounds lilke you know what you are doing - and this cat is just
freaking out with the pills. Is there any liquid tapeworm dewormer?
With syringes I always find it easier and very swift.

Keep the faith.
(Can't understand why some rescue group - or a good cat person wouldn't be helpful.) Only thing I can say is I rescue here in NYC - and it is very stressful.

Again as with animals...it is individual - keep looking!!

1. How about a good cat sitter - they give meds for their clients.
2. Info from your local pet supply store - they may have an idea of someone.
3. Check into a TNR (trap-neuter-return) person or group near you

KEEP THE FAITH!

psy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I actually have a jar of baby food left from when they had the URI. I will give that a try though I have tried in several other foods and he always knows its there. He is not finicky in the least and will eat almost anything but the minute I put medicine in it even if I do it where he cannot see me he knows and he won't touch it.

psy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have actually tried the pillers too my vet gave me one and it was not very good so I bought a more sturdy one and neither works. I can't hold him still. I am going to try the baby food but if that doesn't work I'm probably just going to have to take him to my vet. I was looking for a good liquid tape wormer you can buy over the counter. Does anyone know of one in the US. I found one at a UK website but nothing in the US, The vet has a paste wormer in a syringe but will only administer it himself which brings me back to taking him to the vet which is probably going to end up being the only solution.

reginakitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If the vet does it then you can be sure he gets it....which is why he probably wants to do it.
My cats won't touch a thing with meds in it.
Cats have amazing smell. Much greater than dogs. (imagine if we could train them to do rescues and searches!)
Go with the way of least resistance -- it helps in the sanity department! I 'm learning!

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
I've skimmed the posts - didn't notice if you actually wrapped him into a towel, or blanket - basically binding all his legs, and confining them - with mine, they almost become docile once I have them wrapped tightly.

I haven't had to pill, yet - I have always asked for liquid meds - I don't know about the forms that the tapeworm meds come in - maybe there' a liquid???

Sorry, can't be of help - I just think you're a strong, determined, and brave caregiver to help this guy!

The previous suggestions have been helpful to me, too - in case there comes a time that I am not able to give liquid meds, but have to pill.

I found this link - there is liquid meds for tapeworm:
http://www.ehow.com/how_7304572_admi...icine-cat.html

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
We started having problems with Lucy (though she never shredded us). Working with the vet tech, the technique we now use is to scruff her just behind the ears, just lifting her front feet off the table. This will pull her head back enough to open her mouth. We can then use the pill popper to drop it in the back of her throat.

Some people have had success with cat restraint bags.

raincloud

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My technique might seem a little cruel but its usually effective, and it doesn't hurt the cat (unless he struggles, then its his fault).

With the cat on the ground...I don't know how to explain this lol. Basically sit on him (not with all your weight of course, but just so that he's trapped between your legs sideways and your body upwards, and your feet behind him). You can either stick the pill in the side of his mouth or force his jaws open. When you put the pill in his mouth, make sure his tongue isn't curled up or he'll spit it out. The SECOND you put the pill in his mouth, close his jaws and hold them closed for 30 seconds or so, until he swallows. Stroking his throat sometimes helps.

It sounds very vicious but if you do it slowly (and you must always be careful because cats are so delicate), it is safe. It is very distressing of course, but it gets the job done. Beware the intelligent cat that learns, though x.x

Best of luck! I hope his tapeworms clear up so he doesn't have to have any more pills.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is an injectable tapeworm medication. My vet will give it for, like, $4 I think. I suppose some other vets will charge an office fee and all that. . .but it's still better than having your fingers bitten off. I try not to have to pill cats.

elayman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Psy

I need help, I am at the end of my rope with this and I don't know what to do. I have this rescue cat and I have recently discovered he has tape worms so I bought some tapeworm pills and I cannot give them to him because he is impossible. I have tried putting them in treats, in food, in tuna. I can't pill him. He goes insane and it is impossible for me to hold him still in order to administer the pill. He claws and bites and twists and fights and I am not only getting ripped to shreds by him when I try to hold him to give him a pill but I am afraid that he is going to get hurt. I have tried wrapping him in blankets and towels. I am at my wits end with him and need some advice. I have no one to help me hold him and I just don't know what to do I can't have him infesting the rest of the cats with worms and I have no where to quarantine him. Does anyone have any suggestions?
What is the name of this wormer ? My vet uses a coated tablet and I have it done by a tech at the time of pick-up. These tape worm pills work very quickly - basically immediately. It is a one-time deal and the worms disappear on impact.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If this is only for a dewormer/tapeworm, ask your vet about Profender... It is a topical dewormer, you apply topically behind the neck just like you apply flea medication - advantage, Revolution and such. It is a great drug, and problem solved. It is a one time application. I used it with Bugsy and with Gracie, and it was great.

psy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I was using Praziquantel the brand name is tradewinds. It worked fine for the cats I could get it into but he is just crazy. I actually used the sit on method for the other rescue that wouldn't take it in his food and it worked perfectly fine for him but this one ( I call him Moo cause hes a black and white kitty )is just too crazy even for that. I had never heard of profender I will have to look into that. My vet charges 40$ for the office visit + whatever he has to do for the pet. Not that hes not worth it but if I could do it myself it would be best. I love my vet though hes awesome and I never complain about his fees. I will try again tomorrow when the new pack of pills I ordered arrive since the last ones all ended up lost/wasted because of the trouble. I will update when I have this solve and thanks everyone.

By the way where can I get profender?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Psy

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I was using Praziquantel the brand name is tradewinds. It worked fine for the cats I could get it into but he is just crazy. I actually used the sit on method for the other rescue that wouldn't take it in his food and it worked perfectly fine for him but this one ( I call him Moo cause hes a black and white kitty )is just too crazy even for that. I had never heard of profender I will have to look into that. My vet charges 40$ for the office visit + whatever he has to do for the pet. Not that hes not worth it but if I could do it myself it would be best. I love my vet though hes awesome and I never complain about his fees. I will try again tomorrow when the new pack of pills I ordered arrive since the last ones all ended up lost/wasted because of the trouble. I will update when I have this solve and thanks everyone.

By the way where can I get profender?
You get it from your vet, but since this kitty has already been there and weighted, you can just ask them over the phone and go there to pick it up, if they have it so you can apply it at home. You shouldn't have to pay for a consult.

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wild kitty refuses meds! Sorry you are having such troubles. My Chickster is a bit wild with hers sometimes, and the sit on method works, with ankles crossed so she can't back away, but she will twist her head like the exorcist to get away from the pill. She'll try not to purposely bite me but will use her front paws to stop my hand, but I'm used to cat scratches. Pill will pop out. I'll put it back in. Around and around we go into I get it in there and keep her mouth shut until she's finally forced to swallow it. Sometimes we get the SUPER special furbabies that certainly are strong minded!
Good luck!

Edit: Also, try to be mindful of your temperament when you pill your cat. Try to be as relaxed as possible. I discovered with Boo that the more relaxed I was when administering meds, the more relaxed he was, and it works most of the time with Chickster. If I'm upset or dreading it, or getting anxious with her fits, she'll seem to get even more hard to handle (This is why I take two xanax before trying anything with them now, helps more than it hurts!) It may not work but always worth a shot!

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snickerdoodle

Wild kitty refuses meds! ... If I'm upset or dreading it, or getting anxious with her fits, she'll seem to get even more hard to handle (This is why I take two xanax before trying anything with them now, helps more than it hurts!) It may not work but always worth a shot!

I've never tried that - hope it never comes to that - or - a couple glasses of wine first, hmmmm

I'm thinking that maybe if you get a wrap and wrap them up before you stick them between your legs if that might be helpful ???

When I wrap mine, while gently stroking their ears and head, and talking softly - they seem to be a lot more calmer - but, then - so far every drug I've had to administer comes in liquid form.
- but If I HAVE to ever pill, I think I'll go with the xanax! (nah, not really, .... err, I think! )

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't seen anyone mention the butter method...buttering the pill, plus a little extra on another finger, to rub around the mouth? I haven't done it myself, but I've heard the butter helps it go down (if you can hold onto it, LOL) and then they are so taken up with the butter on their lips they sorta forget they're supposed to be swallowing a pill. Best of luck!