Pill Pockets

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lueyfufu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What's a pill pocket?
They are these meat-flavored things that you can hide pills in for administering medication. The texture is almost like putty. You tuck the pill in, pinch the top closed, and voila!
pp.jpg

1649974908406.png

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are these meat-flavored things that you can hide pills in for administering medication. The texture is almost like putty. You tuck the pill in, pinch the top closed, and voila!
View attachment 417008
View attachment 417009
OK.
I never used those. Found it easier to just shove the pill down their throat. My animals were/are such picky eaters and if I shove it down I knew they were getting it.

catmando2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just started using pill pockets to sneak in a pill (actually two 1/4's of a pill) to my cat.

So far so good. The cat just thinks that it's eating food. I put the pill pockets right in the same bowl as food he thinks is tasty.

Fingers crossed that he won't catch one to my scheme :).

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK.
I never used those. Found it easier to just shove the pill down their throat. My animals were/are such picky eaters and if I shove it down I knew they were getting it.
I thought that too until I found a bunch of pills behind a table. And I don't like shoving it down their throats. I wouldn't want anyone shoving anything down my throat :lol:
Pill pockets are a blessing if your cat will eat them. I learned not to put a pill in the whole pocket when I gave one to a cat who chewed it and would never again look at a pill pocket. Now I just break off a bit and wrap the pill in it and Cricket snarfs it right now. Austin doesn't want any part of pill pockets though.

As for what flavor I would like, bacon sounded like a good one.

catmando2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thought that too until I found a bunch of pills behind a table. And I don't like shoving it down their throats. I wouldn't want anyone shoving anything down my throat :lol:
Pill pockets are a blessing if your cat will eat them. I learned not to put a pill in the whole pocket when I gave one to a cat who chewed it and would never again look at a pill pocket. Now I just break off a bit and wrap the pill in it and Cricket snarfs it right now. Austin doesn't want any part of pill pockets though.

As for what flavor I would like, bacon sounded like a good one.
I use a pill cutter to cut up the pill into the proper dosage portion. The kitty has two pill pocket treats instead of one.
Any crunch and he probably thinks the crunch is part of a tasty bone or something :biggrin:.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a pill cutter to cut up the pill into the proper dosage portion. The kitty has two pill pocket treats instead of one.
Any crunch and he probably thinks the crunch is part of a tasty bone or something :biggrin:.
When I tried a pill pocket on my RB kitty Swanie it was the first time I'd used one. It was a good size pill (he was a plus size cat) and I just smooshed up one pocket and gave it to him. He started chewing it and I could just see him thinking man, the outside tastes great but that center is nasty. And he would never look at a pill pocket again even without a pill in it. Cricket loves them, and I make sure any pill is small enough to hide in a small round ball which she snarfs down. I give her several small balls with the pill in one of them. Austin has no interest in them with or without pills, which is unfortunate.

catmando2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I tried a pill pocket on my RB kitty Swanie it was the first time I'd used one. It was a good size pill (he was a plus size cat) and I just smooshed up one pocket and gave it to him. He started chewing it and I could just see him thinking man, the outside tastes great but that center is nasty. And he would never look at a pill pocket again even without a pill in it. Cricket loves them, and I make sure any pill is small enough to hide in a small round ball which she snarfs down. I give her several small balls with the pill in one of them. Austin has no interest in them with or without pills, which is unfortunate.
I don't give my cat the pill pocket alone but mix with gourmet food. The gourmet kind that are in a tube, refrigerated at the grocery store. I think either the pill pocket blends well enough with the food that my cat just thinks the pill pocket is part of the food. Or because the cut pill portions are tiny he doesn't really notice. Hasn't failed for me so far, knock on wood.

catmando2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, think that my cat is catching on that his food is spiked. Yesterday morning after eating the food and pill pocket with medicine, he did throw up. The evening dosage went okay. But this morning, he avoided the food that I usually gave with the meds. He used to really like the food. I then switched the food. He ate some then shied away from the pill pockets. I finally did get him to eat but he now is more hesitant. Cat is too smart.

catmando2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Happy to say that cat seems to be back to eating with the pill pockets. I switched the flavor of the pill pockets to keep him guessing :cool2:.