Pill cutting with nail trimmers?

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been trying to figure out how to more accurately cut a few of my cat's pills in quarters because pill cutters never work for me (I've tried many). I've actually given up on using pill cutters all together because even when I'm only cutting them in half, it's not accurate and half the time it crushes part of or half of the pill. I have been breaking them in half on the back of a spoon for the last few months, which offers mixed results (but more accurate than the pill cutters for me) and also wastes a few. The spoon trick works ok for cutting pills in half, but it's really hard to break them into quarters not only with the force I need from my thumbs to do it, but also it isn't very accurate. Today I stumbled across this video showing how to cut pills with cat nail trimmers. I tried it on a single Prednisolone as I am trying to see if 1.25mg is still sufficient for our cat (instead of 2.5mg) and it was amazing! I only tried it on one pill so far. I know I can get the Prednisolone compounded, but it's just so expensive that way. I just ordered a clean set of trimmers to only use on pills. Does anyone else do this with success?

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I haven't ever tried nail clippers and hadn't even thought of that! The pill cutter I love is this one: Amazon.com I had a small, puffy, oval pill that had to be cut into fourths. We also had to cut prednisolone into halves, so I can see why fourths might be harder. Luckily that pill isn't too fat and can probably fit into clippers okay. Interested to see if it continues to work for you - might try it if/when I ever have to again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I haven't ever tried nail clippers and hadn't even thought of that! The pill cutter I love is this one: Amazon.com I had a small, puffy, oval pill that had to be cut into fourths. We also had to cut prednisolone into halves, so I can see why fourths might be harder. Luckily that pill isn't too fat and can probably fit into clippers okay. Interested to see if it continues to work for you - might try it if/when I ever have to again!
Thanks for the tip! I bookmarked the pill cutter in case I need it in the future. I'll report back after I get the new set of trimmers, which I am supposed to get tomorrow. I do not look forward to pill cutting day, but maybe now it won't be such a pain!

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cutting is hard! Vet's assistant will do it. This is what I use

View attachment 459495
Thanks! I have two of those pill cutters and they don't work well for me at all. It's probably user error, but they leave a lot of dust when I can manage to get them to cut right and the other times I cut one side too big, the other too small or it simply crumbles one side, if not the whole pill. That's why I stopped using the cutters all together. I still screw up using the back of a spoon, but the frequency of messing it up is much less for me.

I saw someone posted this one and it looks promising. If the nail trimmers don't work as well for me, I'll probably fork over the money for this one. I feel like I feel like the trimmers may give me more control, but only time will tell!

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This thread on pill cutters might be helpful for you since many other members have had some difficulty cutting pills:
A good pill splitter to cut 2.5 mg amlodipine into 4 parts
Thanks! I did see that one and didn't go back far enough to see someone posted about the nail trimmers in that post. I did find one that looks promising from that post and I'll probably try it if the trimmers don't end up working for me.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I use the pill cutter referenced above (Amazon.com: The EQUADOSE Pill Cutter V2. A New Kind of Pill Splitter with Double Stainless Steel Blades and a Centering Device. Great for Cutting Tablets for You and Your Pet. : Health & Household). It works best on round pills but can do a very good job on oval ones as well. Cutting pills from halves into quarters just takes some diligence with manipulating the pills into the proper place within the guards, but if you can manage to do so, they come out really very precise.

The key with going from halves to quarters is to use the whole pill that has been split into two parts, just aligned in the guards in the 'opposite direction', if you will.

The blades on this product have outlasted all others I have had. All I do is wipe the blades off from time-to-time with a Q-Tip.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Ive used a pearing knife to split oddly shaped pills like cerenia, just be very careful doing it not to slip and cut yourself. I also have a pill cutter like this

It doesn't work for very tiny pills or odly shaped ones. But had it for years as I take alot of medication myself. A little bit of dust is normal but the whole thing should not crumble. Place the pill like the image above in the center and press down on the lid in one quick push. Clean the blade after using debrees on the blade can cause the pill to crumble.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I have two of those pill cutters and they don't work well for me at all. It's probably user error, but they leave a lot of dust when I can manage to get them to cut right and the other times I cut one side too big, the other too small or it simply crumbles one side, if not the whole pill. That's why I stopped using the cutters all together. I still screw up using the back of a spoon, but the frequency of messing it up is much less for me.

I saw someone posted this one and it looks promising. If the nail trimmers don't work as well for me, I'll probably fork over the money for this one. I feel like I feel like the trimmers may give me more control, but only time will tell!
My hands trimmer which makes it hard to center pills. I wish there was one you don't have worry about that. Let me know if it works!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've been trying to figure out how to more accurately cut a few of my cat's pills in quarters because pill cutters never work for me (I've tried many). I've actually given up on using pill cutters all together because even when I'm only cutting them in half, it's not accurate and half the time it crushes part of or half of the pill. I have been breaking them in half on the back of a spoon for the last few months, which offers mixed results (but more accurate than the pill cutters for me) and also wastes a few. The spoon trick works ok for cutting pills in half, but it's really hard to break them into quarters not only with the force I need from my thumbs to do it, but also it isn't very accurate. Today I stumbled across this video showing how to cut pills with cat nail trimmers. I tried it on a single Prednisolone as I am trying to see if 1.25mg is still sufficient for our cat (instead of 2.5mg) and it was amazing! I only tried it on one pill so far. I know I can get the Prednisolone compounded, but it's just so expensive that way. I just ordered a clean set of trimmers to only use on pills. Does anyone else do this with success?
I have never thought of trying that. Let us know!
Occasionally, nail trimmers will literally fling the cut part of the toenail across the room. So when you do this, work in a corner if you're able to avoid having to search for pill parts! 🙂

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have never thought of trying that. Let us know!
Occasionally, nail trimmers will literally fling the cut part of the toenail across the room. So when you do this, work in a corner if you're able to avoid having to search for pill parts! 🙂
HERE YE! HERE YE! THIS JUST IN! Pill cutting time is WORLDS BETTER now with using the nail clippers!! I they just got delivered and I did up a batch of pills. I hold the pill between my thumb and index finger, so nothing goes flying across the room. If you watch the video, that is exactly how I am doing it. So much better and easier for me! :banana1:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HERE YE! HERE YE! THIS JUST IN! Pill cutting time is WORLDS BETTER now with using the nail clippers!! I they just got delivered and I did up a batch of pills. I hold the pill between my thumb and index finger, so nothing goes flying across the room. If you watch the video, that is exactly how I am doing it. So much better and easier for me! :banana1:
This is awesome!!! What a great idea, I'm so glad this worked!

emocatowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I bought 2 different pill cutters. Nail trimmers were better than both. I also had a pair I used only for pill cutting. With the proper pill cutters, they'd always come out uneven, and a good chunk of the pill would get crushed. Nail clippers just cut right through every time.

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Would the nial cutters work on human medications too? I can't imagine it working to well on some of the horsepills.
It would not work well on the larger pills. If you're familiar with the size of Methimazole, Prednisolone and/or Fluoxetine, that's about the perfect size for nail trimmers. They might work for something slightly larger than these pills, but probably not much larger. Here's a photo for you, if this helps:
1694973542063.png

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I bought 2 different pill cutters. Nail trimmers were better than both. I also had a pair I used only for pill cutting. With the proper pill cutters, they'd always come out uneven, and a good chunk of the pill would get crushed. Nail clippers just cut right through every time.
I agree! I just did up another small batch of capsules and I had zero issues with any of the pills. I'm so glad I found this trick.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree! I just did up another small batch of capsules and I had zero issues with any of the pills. I'm so glad I found this trick.
Me too!! I'm going to tell some of my customers about this.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
For me its usualy my own pills that need splitting, I take at least 5 different pills a day. Then theres the horse pill multivitimines. Those i can't swallow without splitting. I do get the gummies sometimes but they aren't always available.