piddle problems

kdcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 2.5 year old female, Gypsy, continually urinates on the carpet. I've covered about 75% of my house with the nature's miracle no more spraying, taken her to the vet (she peed all over the table producing inconclusive results)... We have 3 litter boxes and they're kept relatively clean.
The only change recently was getting a kitten. I forgave her for the spots I found during his time with us, but note that he's passed she's been less stressed and more affectionate. Thus you can imagine my surprise when she started "digging" in my living room this morning. I clapped my hands and yelled her name. I even attempted to move her but she squated any way.
Any insight to why she could be doing this? I'm changing all 3 litter boxes after work with her favorite litter...

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Behavior like this is the biggest reason for cat surrenders and disowning.  Unfortunately, we can only guess as to why cats do this.  The vet results were inconclusive?  Did you get a 2nd opinion?  This would be my first step.  It could be a variety of health problems.  She may now associate the litter boxes with these problems and with pain or irritation.  So she avoids them.  Does she use them at all?  It could be she doesn't like the litter or the boxes themselves.  Maybe get new boxes, too?  Different shape or larger. 

Is she spayed?  It might not be urinating but spraying that she is doing.  If she is not fixed, make plans to have her done ASAP.  There are many health risks in keeping an intact female without breeding her.  Plus, if she gets out, she could mate and it only takes a couple of seconds for them to get pregnant with 3 or 4 kittens. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kdcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is fixed. But had one litter of kittens about 2 years ago. She uses the box most of the time, though. It seems like a more of a conscious choice to pee on the rug (often inches from her clean box).
When I took her to b the vet a year or so ago they waited so long to test her that she peed all over the table so they couldn't use that sample.
I'd never get rid of her. Im just hoping to reverse this behavior...

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
If I'm understanding you correctly, the kitten died?  How long ago did Gypsy become a single cat again? 

kdcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes. We lost Puck a little over a week ago. But Gypsy isn't single... Her son, Toby, is a member of the family as well. (Sorry if that was unclear).
Gypsy never became attached to Puck. She would growl and hiss at him at every chance. I found a lot of stains after Puck... But since he passed she became her old self. Calm and affectionate. Not mourning the kitten at all.
I always suspected that Toby was her least favorite offspring though. He's very active and plays rough with her. He loved having a kitten to chase and since Puck's passing has become overly attached to both Gypsy and me. Running after her, taking her sleeping spots or joining her in her "house" (I have 2 cat cubes currently. There used to be a tunnel as well where both older cays would be able to sit in comfortably but unfortunately the tunnel was where Puck passed and I had to get rid of it).
There have been a lot of changes in Gypsy's world but it almost seems like the changes have all made things the same. Like I stated in an earlier post, we only had Puck for a short time. The only physical reminder of him is the third litter box. I've noticed additional changes to Gypsy as well; she's recently begun growling when I pick her up (though she will lay on my lap still) and she's been burrowing herself in my clean laundry baskets.
I love my cats more than anything and don't want any more heartbreak...

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
If her last visit to the vet was a year ago, I'd take her again.  And even though she may not be grieving the loss of the kitten, the changes may be affecting her behavior.  Have you tried calming treats, collars or diffusers?  Or perhaps spraying Feliway spray where she sleeps and hangs out.

I'd sure try a vet visit first, though.

I'm so sorry for your loss of Puck.  

kdcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm going to try the feliway spray... Hopefully that will help her. I haven't noticed any issues lately but I'd rather try to solve the problem than assume it solved itself.
Thanks for your helpful suggestions!