Pictures of the prom dress I made...

suzy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, all;

I asked my sister if she would trust me to sew her prom dress this year, and she agreed to let me try. My mom and I made it for her last weekend. Here are a couple of pictures - I can't wait to see how she looks on prom night!!!

(I lost some resolution making this picture small enough, so sorry for the poor quality!)

chixyb

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh, that is awesome! I have seen many "home made" dresses and none are this good, most of them are just straight and boring, no hugging curves or flattering figures. But this one is just so gorgeous! I would let you make anything for me ANY day! I am just so astonished at how great this is, it looks exactly like one you would pay 100 bucks for in a department store! Wow wow wow! I wish I could sew

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is gorgeous!!!. What a brilliant job you and your mum have made.

I had to buy an evening dress for a regimental ball that i went to in december similar to this one. And i agree with Meagan about the price. I paid £120($240) for mine and there was nothing to it if you know what i mean?!.

As Krazy Kat2 says, post some of the big night!

clarabelle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
North Mississippi, just far enough away from MELVI
I do sew and you have done a knock out job! Keep up the sewing it can only help you later. What pattern did you use? and is the material satin? How was sewing the back bodice section? I love talking to people who sew. Right now I am sewing 1860 period correct clothes for my family since we do Living History events at National State Parks. Keep up the good work

Clara

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

suzy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by clarabelle
I do sew and you have done a knock out job! Keep up the sewing it can only help you later. What pattern did you use? and is the material satin? How was sewing the back bodice section? I love talking to people who sew. Right now I am sewing 1860 period correct clothes for my family since we do Living History events at National State Parks. Keep up the good work

Clara
The pattern was Simplicity 5235, and the material is satin. These pictures don't really do the material justice - it is really luxurious. The contrast color is champagne colored, and matches the red nicely.

The back lacing is ornamental only - it can be tightened slightly, but not much. Mom & I made the bodice section a little roomy to start, then fitted it to her twice, so it really fits her nicely (but she can't gain even 1 pound between now and prom!!!) The lacing in the back is threaded through 20 buttonholes - that was one of the most nerve-racking parts of the dress, trying to make sure those buttonholes were even! Luckily, mom got a new computerized sewing machine, and it sews the buttonholes very evenly, so we just had to be really careful to make sure they were lined up right to start.

Probably the toughest part for me was learning how to install a hidden zipper - we bought an extra one, and installed it a couple of times into a practice scrap of fabric. We took our time on it, and it turned out really well. Whew!

Thanks for all the nice compliments - this is the first 'real' piece of clothing I've made - I've made lots of jammies and Halloween costumes, stuff like that. I was pretty excited at how well it turned out!

I will try to post prom pictures - I will have to figure out how to remote-link them so that the resolution is better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

suzy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by WellingtonCats
Susan try www.photobucket.com for free remote linking. The dress is really beautiful.
Thanks for the site info, Sam!!

I haven't been around for awhile - I love the pictures of Holly on your signature!