Pictures Of My Cats Teeth

andrew11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is a domestic shorthair mostly black and a little white. I posted pictures of her teeth and wanted to get opinions on them since she needs dental work/cleaning done soon. Just wanted to see what others see and your thoughts on her gums and teeth in general. Thanks

Attachments

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tartar affects the teeth on the sides more but in the picture it's just front teeth. I can't make a comment about the gum but her front teeth don't look bad at all. With that said, my own cat's (side) teeth are full of tartar unfortunately, were already like that when I met her but her front teeth are perfectly fine. So even if the front teeth were in great condition that doesn't mean she doesn't need dental work.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agreed. One of my one little furballs is having a dental this coming Tuesday. His teeth look great from his canines forward, but his molars have quite a bit of tartar on them. Our Vet said it could probably wait for another year, but he's already ten, and I figure it's easier to do it now while the tartar is "moderate" and he's only ten than wait until it's "severe" and he's older.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My vet just plucks off the tartar with her fingernail when we go in for a visit. She's a little old school.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

andrew11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
mrsgreenjeans- have you ever had your cats teeth cleaned in ten years?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We have had two adopted cats with FORL, feline oral resorptive lesions, who not only needed dental cleanings but teeth extractions as well. Therefore, I am diligent about their dental care. They did fine with both the cleanings, x-rays, and extractions. I thought this Article about gingivitis in cats would be helpful for you: Gingivitis And Stomatitis In Cats

Best of luck, please keep us posted on your girl's progress. :alright:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
mrsgreenjeans- have you ever had your cats teeth cleaned in ten years?
Yes, he had his last dental three years ago. They get check-ups every six months though now that they are seniors. Their teeth have been good until this last visit. Luckily he's the only one that needed a dental. Surprising since three years ago his brother had a couple FORLs, so I always expect he'll be the one needing the dental

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure they do dental XRAYS of the mouth when the cat is under!! I cannot stress this enough. What literally is the point if you can't even see what is happening below the gum line. Weekly we see cats whose teeth look ok but those xrays will show pockets of rotten infection and seriously diseased teeth below the gums. The pictures you show unfortunately can't tell much. You really need to see those back upper teeth to get an idea. My cat had her first dental at around 12 years old and her teeth were excellent, however one of her fangs were dead so they removed it. Sometimes you just can't tell much on the surface.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Absolutely! In my humble opinion, all dentals should include Xrays. Ours does, but not all do.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right!! I have heard many people say "my vet is just trying to get more money with unnecessary things" or they refuse the xrays and then complain 6 months later that the gums are inflamed and bothering the pet again. Makes no sense to me.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
MC 19 year old cat never had her teeth cleaned, when the vets looked in her mouth, thinking there was an infection, she was in shock as to how white and clean they were.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MC 19 year old cat never had her teeth cleaned, when the vets looked in her mouth, thinking there was an infection, she was in shock as to how white and clean they were.
That's wonderful, some cats just have better genetics than others. But they still aren't seeing what the teeth look like under the gumline... We did a dog dental last week and showed the owner the xray where the tooth looked white on the outside, but was blackened with a pocket of infection underneath. We physically showed the owner the tooth as well. She was shocked.