(picture) Is This A Sign That My Cat's In Pain??

victoria_220

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!

Finn, my little 2 year old, has sat this way for as long as I can remember but I recently read that when a cat sits in the "loaf" position with their paws out the way his are, it means the cat is in pain.

Finn has hip dysplasia and arthritis + involuntary muscle tremors that I suspect to be neurological as he doesn't display any other symptoms, but what I'm wondering is, do any of your cats ever sit this way? Does it really mean he is in pain and should I be taking him to the vet?

Thanks all for you help!
IMG_1559.JPG

IMG_8937.JPG

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think he is OK. Usually, the meatloaf position also entails the front paws being tucked under the body as well. And, it can mean a lot of things - just in general not feeling well, and being upset about something, as well of course pain. But facial expressions play a big factor in determining the state of the cat too.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I'm not sure but to me he does look a little tense, but that might simply be that because of his hip troubles and arthritis he can't fully lower himself all the way to the floor.

This may be of help;
35 Signs That Your Cat May Be In Pain

I can't tell from your post, but you haven't had your cat in to the vet ever? Is he neutered? If you decide to take him in, --and it might not be a bad idea if he's never been, then if it's legal in your state, maybe you could talk to your vet about CBD oil - it might possibly be safer longterm for the arthritis et al.

Let us know :vibes::crossfingers:

Last edited:

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is your cats eyes always dilated like that ? As in the black parts of the eyes are wide black circles ? If its like that all the time in light and dark areas then he may be in pain with the ears straight like this cat photo
1. Cat in pain
why_does_my_cat_have_dilated_pupils_2626_600.jpg

2 . Cat in fear or aggression
defensive-cat.jpg

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If your cat is has hip dysplasia and arthritis + involuntary muscle tremors, he may be having pain coming from the arthritis and hip dysplasia and also having anxiety as well. My cat leo had arthritis and spinal pain and his eyes were dilated like in photo number 1 majority of the time, in the dark and during the day.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This cat eye is constricted meaning this is attack mode
55c907c0dd089599248b4621-320-240.jpg

A Calm cat has half opened

calm-view-cat-calmly-looks-camera-green-s-eyes-lies-108124521.jpg

IronHippo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi victoria_220! Both Marple and Radish sit like that sometimes--I call it "caturanga" because it looks kind of like they're doing chaturanga dandasana. Neither of them have the kinds of potential sources of pain that you describe for Finn. So to me it is among the cat postures that, without any other out of the ordinary behavior, means they're still feeling OK. I think they do that instead of the full loaf when it's just in case they want to get up--so they're almost loaf but they have their front legs gathered and ready to move.

When Radish was in pain because of an encroaching clogged urethra, we could tell because among his peeing behaviors he also had a general air of discomfort and tenseness that was very unusual for him. He didn't want to be petted and he didn't want to play--both things he otherwise loves when he's feeling well. If Finn is acting off, that's a good sign that something might be wrong.

Finn is a lovely boy with incredible eyes!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

victoria_220

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi victoria_220! Both Marple and Radish sit like that sometimes--I call it "caturanga" because it looks kind of like they're doing chaturanga dandasana. Neither of them have the kinds of potential sources of pain that you describe for Finn. So to me it is among the cat postures that, without any other out of the ordinary behavior, means they're still feeling OK. I think they do that instead of the full loaf when it's just in case they want to get up--so they're almost loaf but they have their front legs gathered and ready to move.

When Radish was in pain because of an encroaching clogged urethra, we could tell because among his peeing behaviors he also had a general air of discomfort and tenseness that was very unusual for him. He didn't want to be petted and he didn't want to play--both things he otherwise loves when he's feeling well. If Finn is acting off, that's a good sign that something might be wrong.

Finn is a lovely boy with incredible eyes!
Aw, Radish and Marple sound like the sweetest little kitties <3! Thank you so much for your response, this makes me feel so much better!

Uma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all!

Finn, my little 2 year old, has sat this way for as long as I can remember but I recently read that when a cat sits in the "loaf" position with their paws out the way his are, it means the cat is in pain.

Finn has hip dysplasia and arthritis + involuntary muscle tremors that I suspect to be neurological as he doesn't display any other symptoms, but what I'm wondering is, do any of your cats ever sit this way? Does it really mean he is in pain and should I be taking him to the vet?

Thanks all for you help!
View attachment 284522
View attachment 284524
My cats do sit like that often but they are Bengals and they like to make quick exits. They also do the "catloaf" pose when very comforatable. I do worry about pain with mine because they both have lymphoma. Like IronHippo's post above, I, too, look for how tense our cat is and is the behavior otherwise normal. Your cat looks a tad tense. Have you tried giving slow blinks to ascertain if he just needs reassurance that all is well in the environment? It does not always work, but if they relax that is a big clue and if in pain usually I can tell they are because they stay tense, fur slightly lifted. And your boy being under the bed may be another clue, perhaps that is a way for him to control his environment and means the pose might be related to stress rather than pain?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He looks alright. My Krista crouches like this because she has arthritis and it takes her a bit just to get down like this and a bit more to relax into a hover loaf (paws tucked underneath.)

Now compare with when she was in pain. These are digestive pain but this is what a pained crouch looks like.

I believe this is what agar agar does to her:
630EEC10-DF9E-4DD7-89E2-D6B10E86A4D0.jpeg

This is pancreatic pain
BF3EA752-7A4A-4A81-828A-0055378813FD.jpeg

And this is most likely dental pain, possibly middle ear pain/ruptured eardrum, or a combination of both.
D0AE241C-1030-4F4B-85AB-03A1C804EE9A.jpeg

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
“Caturanga”:flail: not in pain
7F666155-69FA-411F-B5CC-9EE954B3213F.jpeg

This looks like the first picture I posted. But this actually a bliss face. I know because she’s riding my belly for scritches.
8D2820EC-D693-4BD3-92F3-D7A95D6E6EBC.jpeg

Also bliss
7464D9F7-0969-4489-AF9C-4A6A88DE36A6.jpeg

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can see pain in Krista because her nose and gaze tip down and her eyes don’t engage. They’re either squinting or staring off into space usually just a bit past her nose rather than staring off into space because that’s what cats do. Finn’s eyes are bright in the first picture and his gaze is alert and attentive in the second. Neither suggest that he’s in pain.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

victoria_220

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats do sit like that often but they are Bengals and they like to make quick exits. They also do the "catloaf" pose when very comforatable. I do worry about pain with mine because they both have lymphoma. Like IronHippo's post above, I, too, look for how tense our cat is and is the behavior otherwise normal. Your cat looks a tad tense. Have you tried giving slow blinks to ascertain if he just needs reassurance that all is well in the environment? It does not always work, but if they relax that is a big clue and if in pain usually I can tell they are because they stay tense, fur slightly lifted. And your boy being under the bed may be another clue, perhaps that is a way for him to control his environment and means the pose might be related to stress rather than pain?
That's super helpful, he definitely
I can see pain in Krista because her nose and gaze tip down and her eyes don’t engage. They’re either squinting or staring off into space usually just a bit past her nose rather than staring off into space because that’s what cats do. Finn’s eyes are bright in the first picture and his gaze is alert and attentive in the second. Neither suggest that he’s in pain.
WOW! Thank you so much for your super thorough response, I genuinely appreciate it. Krista is such a lovely little girl. The photos are so helpful, you are so in-tune with Krista and what she's feeling, I am so amazed. Thank you thank you thank you!

• Purraise
Reactions: Uma