Picky Kitty Wont Eat

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have tried wet, dry...over 7 brands at least. He will take a few licks and leave. I even poured tuna juice and he licked the juice and left. He is 3montha old and I worry about him getting his nutrients. Otherwise, he is a happy and VERY active kitty. Vet check-up was all good.
Any advice?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just discovered...he will gnaw my finger to get the food but wont eat from the bowl. So I just let him lick a serving off my finger...not sustainable. Lol

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL...OH the lengths that we go to! You can try the finger, slowly moving that finger closer to the bowl...

Other than that, I'm lost. I've been trying for TEN YEARS to transition my cat from (BLECH) Friskies kibble to ANY decent wet food without success. I gave up. A very wise person here at TCS once said, "The very best cat food is the one that your cat will actually eat." I take comfort from that. Friskies, it is, and she's healthy and sassy. AND she sucks back water like a camel in August, so hydration isn't an issue for us.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Are there any treats he likes? Bonito flakes, cooked chicken, store-bought treats?

My guys never had issues eating dry food, but with wet it is still in the struggle phase. Gohan is very very picky, and actually gags at half the wet foods (a preservative? something in the gravy? once he gags it is a guarantee he will never even try it). But magically he eats and loves the Lotus Pates (he ate the Duck, the Chicken, the Pork and the Turkey). Sometimes you just have to find the magic food ...

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just discovered...he will gnaw my finger to get the food but wont eat from the bowl. So I just let him lick a serving off my finger...not sustainable. Lol
Yeap! Been there...
My kitty Skye did the same to the point that she wouldn't eat anything froma can ( I know it's weird) until I tried Cat in the kitchen in pouches and "Succes"she now eat the Cat in the kitchen and weruva brand. I do finger feed her sometimes, I start by finger feeding her and make my way closer to her bowl even sometimes I have to set beside her while she eats, sometimes I finger feed her the last 2 bites. I started with food that comes in pouches then slowly introduced canned food.
Give the food in pouches a try if you haven't yet!!
I hope this helps!
Good luck

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, it could be!
Try blending the food to become like a puree and add a bit of water just so he can just lick it instead of chewing it!
Maybe that would help?

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried adding water to the food to make it like thick oatmeal and use warm water when you do it to enhance the aroma.
I hsven't. I am going to give it a try, thanks.

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeap! Been there...
My kitty Skye did the same to the point that she wouldn't eat anything froma can ( I know it's weird) until I tried Cat in the kitchen in pouches and "Succes"she now eat the Cat in the kitchen and weruva brand. I do finger feed her sometimes, I start by finger feeding her and make my way closer to her bowl even sometimes I have to set beside her while she eats, sometimes I finger feed her the last 2 bites. I started with food that comes in pouches then slowly introduced canned food.
Give the food in pouches a try if you haven't yet!!
I hope this helps!
Good luck
I found a kitten treat in the pouch and he likes it.

• Purraise
Reactions: GGG

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LOL...OH the lengths that we go to! You can try the finger, slowly moving that finger closer to the bowl...

Other than that, I'm lost. I've been trying for TEN YEARS to transition my cat from (BLECH) Friskies kibble to ANY decent wet food without success. I gave up. A very wise person here at TCS once said, "The very best cat food is the one that your cat will actually eat." I take comfort from that. Friskies, it is, and she's healthy and sassy. AND she sucks back water like a camel in August, so hydration isn't an issue for us.
So true! We would do anything for these guys. I tried moving closer and he will go in for a few more bites and walks away. I think it is an attention problem as well. If he hears one sound in the other room, he needs to investigate it immediately. lol.

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I found a kitten treat in the pouch and he likes it.
:hyper::cheerleader:that's awesome :cheerleader::hyper:
Would you mind posting a picture of the treat?
If I find it where I live I could try it for Skye.
It feels so good when we find something that our kitties like :)

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also, if you're able to leave dry kitten food down for him that might help. My favorite kind of kitten food is Royal Canin baby cat, dry and canned. The dry morsels are the perfect size for tiny kitten mouths.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to chime in that if it is a kitten "treat" is may not be complete and balanced as the main diet. So make sure the packaging says it is. If not he needs to eat something more appropriate.

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also, if you're able to leave dry kitten food down for him that might help. My favorite kind of kitten food is Royal Canin baby cat, dry and canned. The dry morsels are the perfect size for tiny kitten mouths.
I shoul try that. The Wellness morsels are not as small as expected for a kitten. Maybe that why he is reluctant. He also doesn't each much unless I throw them one at a time and he chases them and eats them.