Picky Kitty only wants ONE brand, ONE flavor, and they're finally out of stock. She wants nothing else.

EternalSushi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Really picky kitty only wants ONE brand, ONE flavor, and it's finally out of stock

I have a 10 month kitten named Amber, and she's only into Tiki Cat dry kibble and Weruva Tuna & Salmon, and SPECIFICALLY those ones, and unfortunately BOTH have run out at all my pet stores/5 PetSmarts in the area as well as Amazon. I usually free-feed her kibble in measured amounts before bed and after waking up, then feed her a wet food meal in the evening.

The kibble I didn't have much foresight (hadn't gone out of stock before), but I had known that Weruva wet kitten food was in short supply, so I had cleared out their entire stock by buying like 40+ cans of that one flavor...so there's none left now and none's come back.

And no she doesn't like any of the other flavors, at all! Right now i'm on borrowed time with only so many cans of her fav left. I tried mixing other stuff with it, nope. I tried mixing a **tiny** bit of other brand foods (Wellness, Nulo, Tiki Cat Wet, Hills, Canin) into her fav Weruva stuff and she would only eat a single bite before walking away. I've tried a total of 10 flavors and combinations.

And the Wellness dry food, she barely eats either, so she's eaten dramatically less.

As much as i'd just love to give in and buy her more of that specific Weruva flavor, I know it's bad if she only has one fav as it (like now) can go out of stock, so i'm trying to get her interested in others. People often say that I should do 90% old 10% new, then slowly add more new food in while taking the old food out, but she just wouldn't accept even a tiny shred of another flavor/brand mixed into her fav food. Not even other flavors from Weruva! So i'm stumped.

It doesn't help that kitten food's usually less varied, so it's even worse when they're out of stock. I know cats can be picky but at this point i'm exhausting all my food options and still realizing that she only prefers *one (which I discovered after she had turned away from 8 others in the first place)!*

Any advice? Thank you so much!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check other sites. Target is good and really fast on delivery, try other cat food sites too. I knwo walmart and Amazon are often out of my cats favorite food too, but I can often get it elsewhere. It's frustrating when they only like one or two flavors, but you found those that she likes, so keep buyong one or two others taht she may like even better!

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Really picky kitty only wants ONE brand, ONE flavor, and it's finally out of stock

I have a 10 month kitten named Amber, and she's only into Tiki Cat dry kibble and Weruva Tuna & Salmon, and SPECIFICALLY those ones, and unfortunately BOTH have run out at all my pet stores/5 PetSmarts in the area as well as Amazon. I usually free-feed her kibble in measured amounts before bed and after waking up, then feed her a wet food meal in the evening.

The kibble I didn't have much foresight (hadn't gone out of stock before), but I had known that Weruva wet kitten food was in short supply, so I had cleared out their entire stock by buying like 40+ cans of that one flavor...so there's none left now and none's come back.

And no she doesn't like any of the other flavors, at all! Right now i'm on borrowed time with only so many cans of her fav left. I tried mixing other stuff with it, nope. I tried mixing a **tiny** bit of other brand foods (Wellness, Nulo, Tiki Cat Wet, Hills, Canin) into her fav Weruva stuff and she would only eat a single bite before walking away. I've tried a total of 10 flavors and combinations.

And the Wellness dry food, she barely eats either, so she's eaten dramatically less.

As much as i'd just love to give in and buy her more of that specific Weruva flavor, I know it's bad if she only has one fav as it (like now) can go out of stock, so i'm trying to get her interested in others. People often say that I should do 90% old 10% new, then slowly add more new food in while taking the old food out, but she just wouldn't accept even a tiny shred of another flavor/brand mixed into her fav food. Not even other flavors from Weruva! So i'm stumped.

It doesn't help that kitten food's usually less varied, so it's even worse when they're out of stock. I know cats can be picky but at this point i'm exhausting all my food options and still realizing that she only prefers *one (which I discovered after she had turned away from 8 others in the first place)!*

Any advice? Thank you so much!
How about trying chewy.com
they are really good, if you spend more than $49. Delivery is free and they deliver within 2-3 days and are very good if there’s any issues with purchases etc.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As mentioned above - Chewy.com. Also Petco.com are other online stores to check. You could also try the adult cat tuna & salmon version of the Weruva - it looks like the ingredients are almost identical. I couldn't look up the Tiki Cat dry food because you didn't specify what flavor/type.

Oddly enough, it looks like Amazon that services my area has it in stock. So, you may need to call some of these places and ask about having it shipped from another one of their locations.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EternalSushi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions! I should've clarified that I'm in Canada but Chewy is a thing here so imma try that!

Still, I do worry that one day she'll get tired of her current fav and isn't willing to swap to something else. If she needs certain diets cause of medical reasons it'll be a pain. Plus, she'll transition to adult food soon and so I'm also worried that she only wants the current kitten food too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EternalSushi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh shoot, Chewy doesn't deliver to my area either. And I've tried all nearby supermarkets and pet stores. This is a bit of a pain 🫠

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh shoot, Chewy doesn't deliver to my area either. And I've tried all nearby supermarkets and pet stores. This is a bit of a pain 🫠
Does homesalive.ca deliver to your area? We also have Pet Valu and Ren's.

Have you tried just less expensive food like Iams or Purina kitten? Or something like Applepaws which is similar texture to what she eats usually.

What happens if you make the new kibble very exciting like tossing it?