Picky Kitty Doesn’t Like Any Treats We Try For Her.

Mimi527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our two year old Faye has been getting shots regularly for her luxating patella and we were using treats she liked to calm her. She’s stopped accepting those and isn’t taking a liking to any new treats. We would like to have a nice treat for her to have when we have to give her the shot, and I don’t know what to try.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Take a look through this, (although a few things are more for enticements than for treats) there might be something;

• Chicken, beef or ham flavored (pureed) baby food such as Gerber Stage 2 - make sure there is no garlic or onions in the ingredients
  • Tuna and/or the juice, a low mercury/low/no sodium brand is called SafeCatch
  • Salmon, mackerel
  • Sardines (make sure there are no bones)
  • boiled cut up chicken or turkey with no seasonings
  • canned kitten food any brand
  • Try mixing in Kitten Milk Replacer - there are recipes on the internet or store bought
  • Fish, tuna or BBQ flavored canned wet food (I personally have never seen BBQ flavors, but...)
  • Lickable cat treats or pouch treat 'gravy' poured over the food
  • kitten glop (recipes in website link above)
  • Bonito flakes
  • fortiflora
  • fish oil
  • green beans, asparagus mushed up, lettuce, applesauce, mashed chickpeas, black olives
  • whipped topping such as reddiwhip
  • dry pasta
  • goat milk, or no lactose cow milk
  • whole cooked eggs (the white must always be cooked) or raw egg yolk now and then
  • broth with no salt and no garlic or onion or seasonings of any kind
  • There are also commercial toppers, Applaws is a brand that can work well as a topper
  • Some good treats would be freeze dried Purebites, Orijen, Meowtinis, Meowables, Only Natural Pet, Primal
  • There are also Lickimats that you could spread types of soft food onto, even plain unflavored yogurt, and even freeze it. Licking something can help a cat to feel better emotionally The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats
  • shredded cheddar cheese, string cheese

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A treat doesn't have to be food. It can be a toy, catnip, a brushing, etc. Anything positive to reinforce holding still for a shot will work:agree:a

What shots are you giving for the luxating patella? One of my cats has a luxating patella in both knees and the vet has her on Cosequin.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mimi527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I will use a few and see if any of these work.

Hi! Take a look through this, (although a few things are more for enticements than for treats) there might be something;

• Chicken, beef or ham flavored (pureed) baby food such as Gerber Stage 2 - make sure there is no garlic or onions in the ingredients
  • Tuna and/or the juice, a low mercury/low/no sodium brand is called SafeCatch
  • Salmon, mackerel
  • Sardines (make sure there are no bones)
  • boiled cut up chicken or turkey with no seasonings
  • canned kitten food any brand
  • Try mixing in Kitten Milk Replacer - there are recipes on the internet or store bought
  • Fish, tuna or BBQ flavored canned wet food (I personally have never seen BBQ flavors, but...)
  • Lickable cat treats or pouch treat 'gravy' poured over the food
  • kitten glop (recipes in website link above)
  • Bonito flakes
  • fortiflora
  • fish oil
  • green beans, asparagus mushed up, lettuce, applesauce, mashed chickpeas, black olives
  • whipped topping such as reddiwhip
  • dry pasta
  • goat milk, or no lactose cow milk
  • whole cooked eggs (the white must always be cooked) or raw egg yolk now and then
  • broth with no salt and no garlic or onion or seasonings of any kind
  • There are also commercial toppers, Applaws is a brand that can work well as a topper
  • Some good treats would be freeze dried Purebites, Orijen, Meowtinis, Meowables, Only Natural Pet, Primal
  • There are also Lickimats that you could spread types of soft food onto, even plain unflavored yogurt, and even freeze it. Licking something can help a cat to feel better emotionally The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats
  • shredded cheddar cheese, string cheese

Mimi527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A treat doesn't have to be food. It can be a toy, catnip, a brushing, etc. Anything positive to reinforce holding still for a shot will work:agree:a

What shots are you giving for the luxating patella? One of my cats has a luxating patella in both knees and the vet has her on Cosequin.
Faye was up until now very treat driven with the temptations treats, but turns her head up, and she doesn’t want us to love on her after the shot
My vet has her on ICHON. But for the first month it’s two injections a week, second month is one a week and then it switches to monthly.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Bonito flakes fur sure but it would be messy. Maybe a tiny piece of cheese though don't know what the best kind would be.. in the past I would give her laughing cow with her medicine. Didnt always work

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Could be she's not interested in eating. Just wants to hide. The more my cat saw the vet the more she disliked going so would hide and take a nap

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Mimi527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found the prescribing info for Ichon. Ichon | Polysulfated Glycosaminoglycan | Kinetic Vet | Supplements It's for wound management, not luxating patella. Has your vet used this for other clients' pets with luxating patella with good results?
Oh yes, I know what it is typically used for and we got a second opinion as well. Both vets said that using ICHON off-label for luxating patella and also for arthritis is not only safe but has had good results. It’s a more affordable option.
She’s basically a brand new cat since taking it, I’ve never seen her so pain free and playful since we got her.

Mimi527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Interesting :) I'll have to ask my vet about it.
Definitely. I was super skeptical myself, because I couldn’t find a whole lot of physical research on the internet about it and the little I did find was about dogs. That’s why I got the second opinion, and it’s worked surprisingly well. They both told me that the medicine isn’t labeled for this but that it should help if done right and wouldn’t hurt her.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just spoke with my vet's secretary. The Ichon sounds just like Adequan in terms of the dosing and for arthritis purposes. I looked up Adequan and it's contains the same compound as Ichon, polysulfated glycosaminoglycan.

Polysulfated Glycosaminoglycan (Adequan) - Veterinary Partner - VIN

It's interesting that your vet chose Ichon over Adequan but there must be a reason why. My vet's secretary is going to get more info for me and the vet's input. I don't think Emma would tolerate an injection but it's nice to know that there are options out there for luxating patella :agree:

:hijack: Now back to treat suggestions post-injection.

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The only treats I feed my 2 cats are Alaskan Wildside Salmon, its expensive and sometimes I end up with lots of crumbs but im happy

FeralRussian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I had to lure them into the carrier to for spaying and neutering and shots I went to the local high end pet store here and bought a variety of treats. The dried lambs intestine made me gag being a vegetarian. The things we do for our munchkins.
But the one they Both went Ballistic over was the Inaba churu paste.

Anais more so and she is usually so delicate when it comes to food. Poor Gustav was confused by her voracious rapacity.

The only thing I worry about is the fructoligosacchrides and guar gum. There is mixed debate still on the first. And it seems to be in Everything these days.
E1F6D21F-E9AE-44DC-9ECA-FFB3276DD659.jpeg

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
some like cottage cheese as a treat, maybe with a little tuna stirred in. And there is peanut butter, be sure you get the kind without the artificial sweetener Xylitol - that sweetener will kill her.