Picky Kitten

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, Marishka ate up anything I gave her when she was just a "stray" and I figured she's go back "home". But when I decided to take her to the vet, spend a boat-load of money on her, and bring her inside, she decides she has preferences to what wet food she eats

I've been buying everything in kitten formula, except for the Meow Mix and I think Whiskas. But here's the thing, we have tried everything under the sun at WalMart, Petsmart and Complete Petmart... (and here I was so afraid I was going to throw her stomach in a hissy) but she is so picky. She wouldn't touch anything anymore. She def. does not like anythign labeled fishy, sea flavored, anything like that (that was Meow Mix). So we tried Nutro, Science Diet, Eukabana, a .33 kind at walmart, Whiskas, Pet Pride, and I am pretty sure there was one other kind, close to a dollar a pouchm but I don't remember the name.
Finally she has eaten a pouch of Iams Kitten today, but I am so afraid tomorrow she won't! What would cause her not to eat this stuff? She eats Purina Kitten dry food like a champ, so I don't dare change it until I know she has some more weight on her (not up to 5lbs yet, as of the last vet visit 3 weeks ago), but I'm so afriad she'll stop eating if I try to change it right now.
The vet gave some dewormer, but she was still eating great then. A lot actually, two pouches of wet a day and lots of dry food until about three days after the dewormer. Since, she has become picky, not touching the wet food until today. She eats a lot of dry food, and goes crazy for Pounce cat treats (only Chicken flavor...lol).
Is she being picky, and is there something else I can try? Certain brand or flavor? Is there something wrong that would make her not eat the wet food anymore? She doesn't even touch it after a long time before I finally throw it away, so I don't think it's making her stomach upset by giving her so many different kinds...

We go back to the vet July 14th I think...so I will def. bring it up, but any ideas until then?
Oh, and just out of curiosity: What should a cat her age (about 6 mos.) weight?
Thanks so much!
<3 Kelly & Marishka

ETA: Everyone at work, and my sister and her husband (not by any means cat experts, though...lol) thinks that I don't need to give her wet food since she won't eat it, but that seems too...unbalanced. Especially since she used to enjoy it so much. They thought that I should just buy tuna and let her eat that. Didn't seem right to me, but I wondered if that seemed okay to anyone here. (I told him that just because my cockatiel likes seeds and would eat them over anythign else doesn't mean that they're good for her to have 24/7 and that's it...but what do I know
)

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If there was a way to get our cats to eat what we think they should eat it would be too easy
, and a cat will never stand for that! Just keep trying different things and pick out a few of the best quality you can afford and offer her a rotation. I prefer wet over dry- I like for them to accept dry in case I am ever away and someone else has to feed them, but primarily wet foods.

They thought that I should just buy tuna and let her eat that. Didn't seem right to me, but I wondered if that seemed okay to anyone here.
Big fat "NO" to that, and here is why

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have had one cat since he was 5 1/2 weeks old-ate canned one time then decided dry food is THE BEST and from then on never touched wet. hes now 9 and in very good shape(a bit fat but oh well lol) he also started life on friskies then purina kitten formulas before going to iams within first year my cats are usually 6-8 lbs by 6 months for the girls. RJ

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marishka

The vet gave some dewormer, but she was still eating great then. A lot actually, two pouches of wet a day and lots of dry food until about three days after the dewormer.
That's a lot of food for a cat her size. I'm guessing worms were making her hungry and now that she's been wormed and got rid of them she isn't hungry enough to eat just anything that you put in front of her. If she's happy with the purina dry I'd stick with that for now. Fingers crossed she won't go off the Iams pouches. If she will eat those that's not a bad food combination, for now at least.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by urbantigers

That's a lot of food for a cat her size. I'm guessing worms were making her hungry and now that she's been wormed and got rid of them she isn't hungry enough to eat just anything that you put in front of her.
I figured it had to do with worms because it did seem like a lot of food, but I've also never had a kitten, so I didn't want to assume too much

Thanks for the tips, everyone! Luckily I remembered I won a gift card to a petstore a few months ago when I went to this huge Pet Expo. The store it was for didn't carry any reptile or avian stuff (only pets I had at the time), so I hadn't ever used it. Glad I kept it now that I have a cat! I'll pick up some Iams and pray she'll keep eating!!

(And I am secretly glad I was right about the tuna
)
Thanks again!
<3 Kelly

ETA: forgot to add that she did eat the Iams a second day in a row! woo!