Picky Eater After Kittens!

msCJ82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat belle, had 5 healthy kittens exactly 4 weeks ago today! She's just over one year old so I have been feeding her the dry kitten food she's been eating for the past year.

when she got pregnant, I added canned kitten food to her daily diet , which she loves. I have a different brand of dry food I feed my other two cats and she shows no interest which is fine. I'd rather her continue to eat the food she's used to, and also it being kitten only makes it better for her and her kittens. f

For the past 2 weeks I've noticed she'll cry big time for canned food. well when she was prego, and right after they were born I gave her as much as she wanted. But she was still eating the dry food too.

Now she refuses to eat the dry food and only wants the canned. I went through 6 small kitten cans in one day! I limited her to 2 big/regular size canned food a day but she won't eat the dry food.

I've caught her on the counters, eating food right out of the pan on the stove, she's dug things out of the trash, she has jumped on the table several times and gotten a left over hamburger, still wrapped, and drug it into the other room, ate thru the wrapper and all! shes never been like this. she has a clean bowl of fresh water and food and yet she won' touch her cat food.

I tried introducing the other cats food and nope! I'm getting upset because her behavior has changed into the not so sweet cat and is getting into everything. I don't know why she's acting like this. I bought normal sized cans but have a hard time finding canned kitten food in the bigger size. I just introduced the canned food to the kitties and after a bit, they indulged. But she'll even come over and eat it all up and not let them have any. she' not mean but will just eat it all.

she' starting to wean them, she doesn't let them nurse very often or for long periods but enough to know they're getting some, but not enough in my opinion. and it's about time they be introduced to wet food anyways. they all have very sharp teeth, and not just a few, like a whole mouth full.

I just don't get why she' acting so hungry and picky. I ran outta her dry food once and had gotten some at the gas station to hold her over for a day and she hated it. when I bought her the dry kitten chow she's used to, she dove in. She always had a preference for it. But now, to not even eat it, but she'd rather dig in the trash, jump on tables and counters, eat her babies portion, eat thru wrappers, is beyond me.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She hasn't been outside, or around intact males, has she? Just hoping she's not pregnant again?

Not sure why she's turned off of the dry food, but until the kittens are weaned, she needs to eat as much as she wants, so make sure she has wet food available at all times.

Here's an article with more info:
Nutrition For The Mother Cat

And an excerpt:

After the kittens are born and begin to suckle, the mother cat's food intake is likely to increase by two to four times, depending on the number of kittens and their growth stages. Providing those tiny kittens with all the calories and other nutrients they need can be exhausting for the mother and she may lose weight even if provided with plenty of food.

It is best not to limit the lactating queen's food intake. Free feed premium quality cat food that is labeled "growth formula," but do not supplement the mother's food with any vitamins or minerals, unless your vet specifically tells you to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

msCJ82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks for the info!

she did get out, but that was just a couple days ago, this eating behaviour started 2 weeks ago. she's black, and when I open the front door I always make sure she's not near. However this time she was crouched underneath a bench by the door and I didn't have the lights on yet as I was just coming in and she darted outside. I am not limiting her food per se, she has all the dry food available, it's just the wet food that I can't seem to keep up with. You would think if she is that hungry she would eat her dry food. But like I said she seems to want every and anything else other than that. It is just very strange because I never had any issues with her before and she would eat all of her dry food plus all the wet food I would give her. If I gave her what she wanted, that would consist of what food at all times. I don't think this is very good for her as I can give her diarrhea, it's expensive, and I have a 50 lb bag of kitten food that I just bought... in sure the kittens will eat it eventually, but why on Earth is she choosing to be this picky suddenly?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cats can be very stubborn. I've had cats who are extremely hungry, yet won't eat their food. They are like kids that way :sigh:. And of course you cannot reason with them so they can almost starve themselves before they will eat something they don't want. WHY she doesn't want it you may never know. Maybe she just decided the wet food tastes better :dunno:. But it shouldn't give her diarrhea. Many people feed only wet food. I do.

Since she got outside, you may need that 50 lb bag of kitten food for another batch of kittens, unless you had her spayed since she had her current batch of babies :frown:. As you said, that's probably not why she isn't eating her dry food, but it may still be an issue.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Was she outside for long? Like a just a minute or so? :crossfingers: Or long enough to meet up with her beau? :( Unfortunately, cats can get pregnant while still nursing kittens, and without showing a visible heat. And at just over 1 year old, she's much too young to be having a 2nd batch of kittens. :sigh:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say feed her the wet food, as much as it takes to make her full. It is for the most part better for cats than dry. Many of us on here struggle to get our cats to eat wet. I know i do. Leave the dry out if you want, for all of the cats. But i would say feed mom as many cans of wet per day as she wants. The big cans are usually easier, 2 or 3 a day of those for a nursing mom is not to much, may not be quite enough. They go through a lot of calories.
Keep us updated on her! I will worry a bit about her.:heartshape:

msCJ82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well, I guess I'll go and get a value size box of canned food then. As for the diarrhea, I guess that was just according to the 2 previous cats I had growing up, you're right, every cat is different.

it'll bother me as to why she suddenly stopped liking the dry food, but I'm sure I'll get over it :)

on a plus note, I finally had to add dry food to her dish, after 2 days! Shes had canned food, but hasn't touched the dry food until just now. yay!

She had an appointment to get fixed in 2 days actually, I had reschedule due to my son needing to go to the Dr. The vet doesn't have another opening for another month, so I'm on the cancellation list in hopes of getting one sooner!

when she got out, out was for about an hour. I tried to call her, but she ran in the woods:( I was really upset, not so much of her getting pregnant again, sure that's not what is want to happen, but more importantly, I was worried so teething might happen to her, and her babies would be without a much needed mom, not to mention our beloved cat who's chipped, up to date on shots and actually has a real gold collar lol.. she returned unharmed. I have 2 male outdoor cats who ARE fixed, and they hang out with her. I can't imagine another male being close to her, they'd protect her, and be territorial. But, who knows...

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hopefully she's not pregnant. And that she won't sneak out again, until she's spayed. But if she did manage to meet a "boy", at least this time you'll all be prepared for more babies. :hearthrob:

Speaking of the babies, can you post pictures of mama and her little ones. :camera:

msCJ82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Last edited by a moderator:

msCJ82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Last edited by a moderator:

msCJ82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks. they are a riot. 4 weeks old today and can tell their personalities more and more. we have a fiesty one, a playful one, a skittish one asleep one and a love all one. they just started doing the "halloween" cat stance lol. Belle is a fantastic mother. she surprised me. she is constantly doing that purr/meow call to them. ALL THE TIME lol...

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she was outside and possibly mating, I would strongly recommend having her spayed now. It is too much for her body to go through a second pregancy so soon.

I would also speak to the vet about having her dewormed. That could be contributing to hunger.