Picky Cats

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like to offer my cats a variety of wet foods. different brands, proteins and textures. They normally eat well, but they do go through phases where they turn off their favorites, and seem to have a difficult time deciding what to eat. They will nibble what i put down, even though they ate it a day or so ago with gusto. And they act like they want something different, which they may or may not eat...lol ?

I just wonder if offering too many choices causes cats to be picky, or if its just the nature of cats? what do you guys think?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have three cats, one of them is picky. I can put down as many of 4 different brands of wet food and he turns his nose up at all of them. Having wasted ££££ throwing away food I decided to choose one and stick to it. He refused to eat it for a few days, eating only dry then when he learned that he wasnt going to be given a choice, he ate it and continues to eat it still. My vet told me cats are not born picky, we make them that way. If I were you, I would choose the best you can afford that they have eaten and stick to it. If they are hungry enough they will eat. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are picky too. I found that switching to feeding twice a day instead of 3 times a day helped. I still feed the same amount, I just split it between 2 meals instead of 3. Also, they don't get their dry food until they finish their canned food. So far it has been working well, but it has only been a couple weeks, so stay tuned. :D

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I didn't find this site until my cat was an adult (she will be 10 in a few days!) so for 9 years of her life she was fed the same dry food every.single.day. She never seemed to have a problem with it.

She does seem to have a texture preference with her wet food as she won't eat shreds, she just licks the gravy. Other than that though, she has scarfed down every pate I have offered!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol. i think i have turned mine into little gourmet cats, that want a specific food, on specific days, and until i open that can they dont want to eat, and they know i will keep opening those cans. But the outside cats i feed eat well :)

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lol. i think i have turned mine into little gourmet cats, that want a specific food, on specific days, and until i open that can they dont want to eat, and they know i will keep opening those cans. But the outside cats i feed eat well :)
They obviously have you well trained.