Picky Cat Only Eats A Spoonful A Meal

amazingdrummer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And she only ate twice a day, each meal with the amount of coffee table of wet food. She spent the rest of the day to sleep. I'm worried about her, anyone can tell me if it's normal for a six month cat to eat so little?
I tried everything, she wouldn't touch kibbles, so I bought a lot of different chicken, pork, fish patê but she wasn't really interested (just a bite or two and went back to sleep). A lot of food waste. She is a kitten, I thought she needs a lot of food to grow up?
Anyway, I was so desperated, I even tried human foods (steaks, canned tuna, etc.) but still...
What else should I try?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you been to a vet to rule out any medical problems? Are there any litter box problems? How long have you had her? What was she eating before? Have you tried a food with more gravy? Chunks or shredded instead of pate?

Assuming there are no medical problems, while kittens need a lot of food to grow their version of "a lot" is around 200-400 calories a day. The level of energy though doesn't seem right for a 6 month old; although some are less active. Try offering human baby food (look for a meat one with no spices, absolutely no garlic or onion). That one is usually a winner with most picky cats. It isn't something for long term but it will get calories in for right now. T

he bigger concern though would be dehydration if she isn't eating and she isn't drinking. Pinch the skin between the shoulder blades and lift slightly then release. If the skin doesn't return to normal within a second she is dehydrated and needs a vets assistance. Especially if you can count over 5 before it returns to normal she needs to see a vet right away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amazingdrummer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, I bought she to the vet, she's okay. I guess she's just naturally picky eater. She is not super active and she sleeps all the time so maybe she just requires less energy than the normal cats. The old owner feed her meats mixed with rice but I will absolutely go grain free. I will keep watching

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"picky cats" are a myth. When a cat wont eat, or will only eat very little, it means they don't feel well, so something is going on. Either she's sick, in pain, or she's nauseated. What tests did the vet do? It'a absolutely not normal for a 6 month old cat to behave like this. Try offering her some meat flavored baby food, no onion or garlic.