Picking up my new kitten tomorrow.

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Im picking up a new female kitten tomorrow. She was born from a stray barn cat. She and her sister and 9 and a half weeks old. The lady found them hungry. Theyve been to the vet and got formula. Tomorrow afternoon i will be taking her home. Im wondering if shes somewhat special needs being found without mom if theres anything i should be doing to support her dietary needs? Also ive never owned a kitten. My two cats are elderly and i adopted them 1 and 3 years ago. How will a kitten need to adjust to two adult male cats? Im thinking of buttercotch, beatrice, or paprika as names? Please opine with other name ideas or if you like these. Her pics are below.
00I0I_cQhznPeiYIE_600x450.jpg
00z0z_436EaCZIZXk_600x450.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What a beautiful kitten! Your older cats may dote on her once they get past initial introductions, or they may not want to be bothered, in which case they may hiss, and warm up later.

You’ll need to provide dry kitten chow (Purina One is good) and wet food such as Fancy Feast chicken flavors. Dry food and water available 24/7 and feed wet food meals 4 times a day for now.

Spay at 12-16 weeks.

You’ll need a kitten sized litter box just for her.

Some toys will help as kittens have lots of energy.

Who is taking her sister?

Thank you for adopting! :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. she is a cutie! With two older cats, I would be preparing for a proper introduction process. While the two you have apparently get along fine, it still might be that they won't appreciate 'an outsider' coming into their domain. You've been on this site for a while, so I take it you are already familiar with the TCS articles about introducing cats as well as the one about introducing a kitten to an older cat? I would use those as guides to be sure!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. she is a cutie! With two older cats, I would be preparing for a proper introduction process. While the two you have apparently get along fine, it still might be that they won't appreciate 'an outsider' coming into their domain. You've been on this site for a while, so I take it you are already familiar with the TCS articles about introducing cats as well as the one about introducing a kitten to an older cat? I would use those as guides to be sure!!
Yes im familiar with intros but not kitten to grandpa cat intros. Im thinking it should be the same kind of thing? But kittens are rambunctious lol.

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful kitten! Your older cats may dote on her once they get past initial introductions, or they may not want to be bothered, in which case they may hiss, and warm up later.

You’ll need to provide dry kitten chow (Purina One is good) and wet food such as Fancy Feast chicken flavors. Dry food and water available 24/7 and feed wet food meals 4 times a day for now.

Spay at 12-16 weeks.

You’ll need a kitten sized litter box just for her.

Some toys will help as kittens have lots of energy.

Who is taking her sister?

Thank you for adopting! :)
Hi! I got lots of new toys as my two grandpas arent interested in toy balls or fluffy toys anymore so i didnt have many of them. The only thing they like are toy wands now that theyre weather channel grandpas lol. I got lots of different toys for her to try. I got blue buffalo kitten chow dry food. And lots of blue buffalo wet kitten food cans. Im taking her to the vet along with my dog friday for a proper checkup. My dog needs yearly shots anyways and they said i can bring them both in at once.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And does any1 think pumpernickel is a good name for her? It would be a good name for a calico.
That is cute! But, think of what 'nicknames' would result from that and if you like them as well. I betcha she'll get an abbreviated name down the line!

Boringly, I called my first cat Tawny, because of his coloring. With Gracie, I waited a while and watched her demeanor. Because she fell off of almost anything she got on top of (back of couches, side of the bed, etc.), I decided Gracie (as in graceless) would be appropriate. With Feeby, well, my husband kind of named her because he jokingly told her she was a feeble excuse for a cat!

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is cute! But, think of what 'nicknames' would result from that and if you like them as well. I betcha she'll get an abbreviated name down the line!

Boringly, I called my first cat Tawny, because of his coloring. With Gracie, I waited a while and watched her demeanor. Because she fell off of almost anything she got on top of (back of couches, side of the bed, etc.), I decided Gracie (as in graceless) would be appropriate. With Feeby, well, my husband kind of named her because he jokingly told her she was a feeble excuse for a cat!
Ive decided on pumpernickel. Those names are cute! I like tawny. I have a good friend named tawny. My other cats names are boots and sunny.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Im picking up a new female kitten tomorrow. She was born from a stray barn cat. She and her sister and 9 and a half weeks old. The lady found them hungry. Theyve been to the vet and got formula. Tomorrow afternoon i will be taking her home. Im wondering if shes somewhat special needs being found without mom if theres anything i should be doing to support her dietary needs? Also ive never owned a kitten. My two cats are elderly and i adopted them 1 and 3 years ago. How will a kitten need to adjust to two adult male cats? Im thinking of buttercotch, beatrice, or paprika as names? Please opine with other name ideas or if you like these. Her pics are below.View attachment 307090View attachment 307089
Awww little cute kitty

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One more question: when she gets home, should i put her in the spare bedroom with her litter box, food, and water and leave her alone for an hour or two or sit and play and cuddle? I dont want to smother her when shes nervous as much as i want to spend time with her.

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also i havent seen her yet and dont pick her up until tomorrow. Her fur length doesnt seem short haired domestic and also not long haired domestic. What length does anyone think it is?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Why don't you try a 'happy medium' and just sit with her and see how she reacts? If she hides, just sit in the room and talk softly to her. I really all depends on how she behaves when she gets there - shy, scared, curious, etc. Cues you can pick up on as you observe her will tell you how to proceed.

Fur length is generally considered short or long haired - I don't know if there really is a medium category. Right now, I would say she is short haired. But, still a doll either way!!!

I am so excited for you!!!!

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Why don't you try a 'happy medium' and just sit with her and see how she reacts? If she hides, just sit in the room and talk softly to her. I really all depends on how she behaves when she gets there - shy, scared, curious, etc. Cues you can pick up on as you observe her will tell you how to proceed.

Fur length is generally considered short or long haired - I don't know if there really is a medium category. Right now, I would say she is short haired. But, still a doll either way!!!

I am so excited for you!!!!
Thanks! Ill see how she does.