Picking Up My Cat

Torryh91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I have had my kitty for 12 weeks now and she has settled in brilliantly. However, she will not allow me to pick her up. She was found as a stray with her 4 kittens so we have no idea what her past is....
Getting her to the vets is a NIGHTMARE and last time my partner had no option but to scruff her and now she is very wary of him and will not go with him. The vet actually managed to pick her up...twice...so what am I doing wrong??
I want to be able to pick her up if needs be. I know that not all cats will allow this, but I would like her to be able to tolerate it. She absolutely loves fuss, but if I even get my hand in position she darts! I keep trying a second at a time and if she allows it give her a treat but it is just not working.
Any tips on how I can train her that it is ok to be picked up every once in a while???

I would really appreciate your help!

TIA!

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im not a cat expert.

Here are my thoughts:

12 weeks isnt that long to establish trust, especially if she was a stray.

I would forget picking her up for now.

Build the relationship.

After a few months pick her up, but only a foot or so off the ground then immediately put her down and give a treat.

Repeat the process, perhaps once a day, or as she tolerates...but not more than 2 times a day. Gradually lift her higher, but always put her right back down, before she struggles.

Over 6 months, start to take a few steps with her in your arms. Always talking soothingly, and stroke her gently.

If she hates it, perhaps thats just how it will be....you wont be able to carry her. Many cats dont like being picked up. Greg will tolerate being carried.......but the expression on his face looks like he has just lost his best friend. Arnold will happily lie in my arms if he figures he is being carried to a place he would like to go to anyway....food dish, outside, bed.

As for scruffing........I grew up thinking this is how cats were to be handled...it was in the days of thinking declawing was ok.

I would be extremely reluctant to scruff a small cat and would likely only do it for its safety. I would not scruff an adult cat.

Perhaps im niave, but we have always been able to develop a relationship of trust with our cats. But that takes time and isnt a direct path. They now know we wont hurt them intentionally. They are quite happy to lie in the middle of a pathway and know we will walk around them. I prefer to create this trust, rather than overpower them. Cats dont forget.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To help with getting her to the vet, try to get her to associate her carrier with a treat. Call her over for a treat on a daily basis and then put it inside of her carrier. Soon she will associate the carrier with a treat and as soon as you open it she will jump in.