Pica?

marcianne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rescued a male cat about 2 years old. He is a great cat. Friendly, lovey, playful. He also has a problem. He chews and eats things around the house. Garbage bags, strings on his toys, electrical cords...etc. I'm afraid he's going to hurt himself doing it. Does anyone know a way to curb this behavior? I am putting things up and away so he can't get to them. But I need to know if there's something else I can do to help him. Any suggestions?

luv2cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a friend whose cat would lick photographs, my cat occasionally will eat the wool fuzzys from my area rug.  I'd keep the garbage bags out of site, he could also get his head stuck in the handles of them (I speak from experience) Strings, ribbons, rubber bands, etc. are dangerous if swallowed - make sure you cat proof your home of these things or if your cat likes to play with string make sure you are interacting with him as a play time then put the ribbon/string away in a drawer.  The electrical cords could be sprayed with Sour Apple which is suppose to deter animals from chewing stuff - I put hot pepper on any cords that may look interesting to my kitties and they stay away.  Because he is in a new home you will have to be diligent with what is laying around and put those things away.  Paper shopping bags are a great toy - make sure to cut the handles so no chance of getting head stuck or cardboard boxes are also fun.  He might be just exploring the new digs and will settle down, make sure you have lots of interaction with him. Have fun and enjoy your new kitty.