(Photo) Is it normal to leave a very small opening when neutering?

JBMMBJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat (6 months old) was neutered yesterday, and last night I noticed a very small opening at the base of the testicles. He seems to be fine, plays and has normal appetite.

I don’t see any stitches, and even though I was not able to make him wear a cone (we tried several times, he took it off every time and was very stressed) I don’t believe he has licked himself to the point of opening the incision.

I will attach a photo just in case, the area is usually fluffy but he was shaved and it’s now very visible.

I’m planning on calling the vet, but I’m wondering if it’s normal? Thank you!

Attachments

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe to allow drainage if necessary in case an infection develops. I honestly never looked that closely at my cat's testicles after neutering to know if it looked like that or not. :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JBMMBJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe to allow drainage if necessary in case an infection develops. I honestly never looked that closely at my cat's testicles after neutering to know if it looked like that or not. :lol:
Yes, I admit I tend to be quite anxious about these things and I checked very closely with my phone, lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JBMMBJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A lot of vets leave the incision open for neuters, especially if it's a young male.
Good to know! How long does it usually take for the incision to close? I assumed they would use stitches and didn’t ask.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think they use surgical glue. For Em his incision started to close on it's own in about a week and was healed after about a month. A nuter for a boy is way easier on them. Keep an eye out for infection.